Radio in TJ

• Okay so the radio in my TJ is dying, its not the stock radio, I bought my jeep used, was a lease turn in but previous owner had upgraded to a Pioneer Radio/CD player. Could be the antannae going I don't know. Don't feel like paying for Sirius and I'm lucky if I can get 1 or 2 local radio stations to come in without much static. I'd like to get one with an ipod jack. Plus with my bday & Christmas coming I'm attempting to build a wish/want/need list.

So any recommendations for a semi easy to install radio, this is something I've done before so not to worried about switching it out unless whoever did it before did a crap job on it. I'm pretty good about remembering to put the top up, windows in is another story . . .

I've still got stock speakers, not planning on changing them as long as they work.

• I just swapped mine out to this:

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/receiver/kdc-bt758hd/

Bluetooth was a big thing for me so I can stream music from my phone (local music, Pandora, anything). Had regular aux jack on the front plus front and rear USB, I just leave a thumb drive connected to the rear one with a bunch of music on it and use the front is someone wants to plug their phone in.

If you already have an aftermarket radio then half the work is done, wiring the harness is the only time consuming part to swap in a new one.

• Thats the new version of the Kenwood I have, great unit. http://www.crutchfield.com is a great company to buy from, they provide all the connectors and brackets, for the factory harness and mounts for free.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I replaced the stock radio with a Kenwood radio/ipod connection. 4 Kicker coaxial speakers and a Kicker under the rear seat amp/sub. Awesome sound.

• I've got the same head unit as Stafford and no complaints the install was easy except for the stupid metal harness that held it in place which i just chucked after i got it loose lol. And you may not have to deal with that as im sure whoever upgraded probably did the same. other than that great unit with aux and bluetooth connections ! plus any questions at least two of us have it if you run into problems im sure we could help and im in the dover area as you know

I bought it from crutchfield as well good company. :up:

• Josh & Stafford - so you guys are pleased with the Bluetooth? Truthfully, that thought never crossed my mind, I just toss the phone in the cupholder or secure it somewhere when I'm in the jeep and don't even deal with it. I can't even hear the kids talking let alone thought about the phone.

Next time I see one of you guys I'll have to check them out.

• Bluetooth is great for a few reasons:

- Streaming / playing music
    - GPS voice, fades out the music, and reports directions over speakers.
    - Phone (not always so great in an open Jeep , but pretty good with a top on.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• Okay Thanks! good to know, the main thing I'm looking for is just something that I can plug my ipod into, not deal with CDs, get decent radio signal if I so choose when the ipod dies :) phone controls & calls are not that important to me as I don't stream music.

• My stereo charges my phone when it's connected via the USB cable. I can play music and not worry about the phone dying while doing so. Just an added benefit...

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• You guys all suck.......now I want a head unit with blue tooth :bang:
    :mrgreen:
    I already hardwired a charger so that base is covered.

Of course you will need a Tuffy console to install it..

• Okay Thanks! good to know, the main thing I'm looking for is just something that I can plug my ipod into, not deal with CDs, get decent radio signal if I so choose when the ipod dies :) phone controls & calls are not that important to me as I don't stream music.

Or just put all of your music on a cheap thumb drive and play it from there. No need for the additional cost of an ipod if you can get it all in mp3 format.

• Yup i love my head unit my other car didnt have aux or cd's so i just jump in put my pandora on through my phone and forget about it. the Mic does horrible with the top off as you can imagine but other than that havent used the Aux but im sure it work just as well

I vote to get the bluetooth one only because you dont know the future and its a nice feature for really no extra costs in a cheap unit Good luck update with which one you pick please ! :rollsmile: :spinrhead:

• There's tons if great units and some can take an sd card so you can load that up also. Check amazon, you can get a pioneer or kenwood for around $100 that does pretty well. I put a pioneer unit in my travel trailer last winter and it was pretty inexpensive. Blutooth, aux port, ect.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!