Motor Swap info

• My friend blew his engine which was a four cylinder and he says he want to put a l6 in it what needs to be done to accomplish if it can be done at all. Thanks for the input ahead of time

• BBD did this to his YJ some time ago. If it's a YJ or later, you'll need to get the trans/t-case, wiring harness and computer from the donor vehicle.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Is it at TJ or YJ. In both cases you need to move the motor mount locations. The wiring will be easiest if you have the wiring harness for the same era vehicles as yours. So if your putting this in a TJ, the wiring harness from an 89 Renix Cherokee will be pretty useless to you. You would want the wiring harness from another TJ or Cherokee of similar vintage.

• Assuming a YJ.. In my personal experience, buy a 4.0l 91-95 XJ ODB1 (important), full runner, take engine, trans , transfercase, harness and all the other crap you might need , then part out the rest and recoup most , if not all your parts costs. When my CJ blew up, I found 93 xj, 106k mi, for $1500. Made all that $ back on parts and Scrap money. On top of all that , expect to pay a few hundred for misc stuff. + labor if your are paying someone.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I did a 4.0 swap on my 94 YJ... bought a 95 XJ and used motor tranny and Tcase, Not really hard at all

Did you convert to an electric fan , or changed out water pump to keep the belt driven set up.

I decided to keep the engine all XJ, and used an electric fan.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Sorry for the lack of info its a 99 tj 5 speed with the four cylinder

A TJ engine swap is a bit more involved. You are better off replacing it with another 4cyl or buying a 6cyl TJ. By the time you swap out harnesses, computers, transmission, cut and relocate the new motor mounts you wil likely have more money in the swap than the cost if a 6cyl TJ.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!