Driving lights upgrade

• I'd like some advice on upgrading my driving lights. I want to improve my visibility, and I know that the new LED highlights are the best technology and the greatest price. To save money, I'd like to know if it's a good idea to upgrade the circular driving lights I have on my bumper. They are after-market lights, but they have the circular look of the OEM units. They have removable bulbs, which are marked "H3" and 55 watts, and they have a slightly yellow cast. (My headlights are Philips CrystalVision sealed beam units that give a "white" light.) I noticed that I can buy LED "driving lights" for must less than LED headlights. So, is this a good idea? Is there a middle ground? If LED driving lights are the ticket, where do I get the best bang for the buck? I see round LED lights that project 1800 lumens and draw only 27 watts (9 bulbs x 3). Is this about the standard? Thanks.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• I installed the KC driving lights and recently replaced the bulbs with LED bulbs. They are great and really illuminate the road. Lots of deer in Lewes.The stock fog lights look dull and yellow compared to them so I think I am going to replace those bulbs. Do fog light bulbs have to be different than driving light bulbs?

• Cheap driving lights will tend to annoy other drivers as their beam pattern is usually not very well defined.

Good to know. So do you think I really need to by the big name brands like Hella and KC? I assume the one in my last post's hotlink would be considered a bad choice?

• If you are looking for KC lights, Jeeps for Joy is raffling off a pair of 100 watt KC slimlites at their Christmas event on Dec 6th in Pike Creek. They have a pic of them on their Facebook page.

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, &WCF_AMPERSAND"Damn...that was fun!&WCF_AMPERSAND"

• And you do realize any 100w lights are not legal on the road?

No I didn't know that. Again good stuff, thanks. These aren't LEDs anyway, and I'm interested in that type. What is the max wattage allowed? Do LEDs use another standard than watts?

• Since I kinda consider myself to be the resident "light guy"... For driving in traffic, you want to upgrade the headlights. Either with a European spec housing (Hella E-codes are the best, followed by the IPF housings) with good bulbs AND a wiring harness (figure around $200-250 for everything) or the fancy new LED headlights (waaaaay better, but you'll pay for it, $375 before discounts from Quadratec). I bought the Qtec LED headlights before my trip, and absolutely love them. I've heard that there are some chinese no-brand lights out there that are pretty good, but I always prefer to buy from Qtec when possible for their customer service and warranty coverage.

The problem with upgrading any of the "fog" or "driving" lights is that you can't really use them around traffic, because they're just too bright. The factory fogs and the KC replacements are ok because they're not super bright and have more of a fog-type beam pattern. True fogs are intended to be just bright enough to drive somewhat safely in the fog, by lighting up the road and paint lines near the vehicle. They're not intended for fast driving. That's what "driving" lights are for... to light up the road and shoulders when you're cruising down a country road. Then, you have "long range driving lights", which are more of a spot light type beam, intended just for lighting up a distance ahead so you don't have to worry about your braking distance. I have a pair of HID driving lights with a "euro beam" (focuses a flat beam so you can see wider than usual and not waste light up in the trees) that are fun, but really not useful on the road.

I highly recommend the Quadratec LED headlights if you can justify the cost as a Christmas present for the Jeep. :) Talk to Rick and see if he can get you a special DEJA member price. They don't cost that much more than upgrading the housings, bulbs and harness but they're much brighter and should last much longer. I really think that this is one of those "buy once, cry once" scenarios. If you're going to be up above the canal anytime soon after dark, I'll happily take you for a spin to see my lights. And, when you finally trade in the TJ on a JK, you can move them over with a small wiring adapter. http://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_0002.htm

But, for backroads... a pair of LED driving lights will be awesome. The technology is getting cheaper all the time, and this is one area where I'll buy the chinese lights. I have a pair of 10W LED lights on the back of my Jeep for backup/work/camp/losethehighbeamsjerk lights. They're as bright as factory high beams, but with a flood pattern.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I repaced my headlights with h4 enclosures then used some high end bulbs. Aux. lighting is a pair of. PIIA 520 Ion fogs. Ive had th for 18 years an the still lool awesome. Fogs are not required to be coverwd and must be mounted below tje headlights.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I got the kc highlights last year because the e-codes were out of stock and I'm too cheap for the LEDs. It was an improvement but if I had to do it again I'd probably shell out the cash to do what jerry is recommending.

• i plan on picking up the quad LED headlights after the holidays. I also have the black box logistics cubes on the windshield. they are awesome, and their customer service is awesome as well (had moisture in one of the lights, and they sent a replacement at no cost, no hassle, no questions) not bad for a pair of 89 dollar lights. no problems with the other 2 sets.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!