Rant!!!!!!!!!

• I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HAAAATTTTEEE...... Drive Shaft U-Joints! >:( >:( >:( >:(

End of rant.

Thank you for your time.
    Have a great day! :)

• [img height=348 width=620]http://repairguide.autozone.co…arge/0900c1528025103a.gif[/img]
    1. little sticks
    2. Ring thing
    3. Sleeve part
    4. Spare part ,(not really needed)
    5. You-joint
    6. See 5
    7. the part that goes over the thing that turns and makes your jeep go
    8. More spare parts, not needed.
    9. Big Shaft (he said shaft)
    10 Hinge thing
    11 Round part that connects to the hinge thing
    12 Screw (he said screw)
    13 see #5 again
    14 Nipple (he said...)

Glad to have helped.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• They can be a pain in the ass. They take LOTS of PB Blaster soaking, a nice big vice, and/or whacks with a good hammer. I've also had trouble getting the retention spring or C-clip back on the new joint.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• ...then every once in a blue moon one will just go back together like it's nothing at all... that's when you start to worry and wonder... "OK... these are never THIS easy... I must have done something wrong... LOL ;D

1989 Wrangler (Islander package) [_]IIIII[_]
    SOA lift (I don't remember the specifics, sorry!)
    33x12.50"/15 BFG tires (I had these), OBA, CB
    Black American Racing AR767 wheels

• All the Above I could not have said better myself. I'm just sick of having to replace them. Every time I start to hear that chirp or squeal, I cringe!

• How often are you replacing them? Maybe something is making them wear prematurely.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• How often are you replacing them? Maybe something is making them wear prematurely.

Jeremy is it the front shaft I gave you ? If so that shaft was practical new, if it is the front, like slimer said something else maybe wrong.

• Jeremy is it the front shaft I gave you ? If so that shaft was practical new, if it is the front, like slimer said something else maybe wrong.

Well with the old drive shaft it was every couple months. And sense I put in the one you gave me Bob I have not changed the U-joints sense I put it in the Jeep. Now I did use the joints from the old drive shaft cause they were not but a couple weeks old. But as of he other day I'm getting more chirping. I'm gonna pull it off and see if I can put some grease in them see if it helps. Its just a pain in the @$$!!

• I am running with out my front drive shaft right now. Pulled it today to change out the u-joints only to find out the the noise i coming from the center yoke. Now i have to figure out how to get it apart. Not going to be easy living in a townhouse so i guess another trip back over to the Dad's so i can use his garage again.

• I had one go bad on the way home from gwnf
    shot a piece of my driveshaft across a 6 lane highway
    quick sise of the road replacement I was back on my way :up:

• That sucks, let us know what you find

Will do, I'm pretty sure its because i used , used ujoints on that drive shaft! For the record they lasted longer with the new drive shaft then they ever did with the old one HAHAH

If you want some help let me know.

Awesome thanks!

I am running with out my front drive shaft right now. Pulled it today to change out the u-joints only to find out the the noise i coming from the center yoke. Now i have to figure out how to get it apart. Not going to be easy living in a townhouse so i guess another trip back over to the Dad's so i can use his garage again.

Yea working on that in the cold sucks! You should be able to find a diagram somewhere online.

I had one go bad on the way home from gwnf
    shot a piece of my driveshaft across a 6 lane highway
    quick sise of the road replacement I was back on my way :up:

DAMN!!! That sucks. Ive been fortunite I have not had that bit with the old drive shaft I had one that the cap wore down to half and the center of the that side was worn down to half as well I could move it about a quarter inch inside the ring that holds it!

• Mine threw a cap once on 95 on the bridge by the stadiums and lost the strap on that side at the same time. Luckily I limped it the few miles to work and had a spare strap and bolts in the jeep. Scared the crap out of me though, when the cap got thrown it hit the tub so I got a LOUD Boom followed by the jeep vibrating like crazy.

• Yeah, I just had this happen on my rear DS on the way to the Qtec tent sale. Got off the exit just before Qtec and it went! Left a nice ding in the muffler and a few small dings on the driveshaft. Limped it back home on the front DS. Before I learned how to use the vise to remove ujoints, that job sucked. Now it takes about 10 mins to do.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Yeah, I just had this happen on my rear DS on the way to the Qtec tent sale. Got off the exit just before Qtec and it went! Left a nice ding in the muffler and a few small dings on the driveshaft. Limped it back home on the front DS. Before I learned how to use the vise to remove ujoints, that job sucked. Now it takes about 10 mins to do.

I use a press and a vice at my house but a hammer and socket will do it for a trail/roadside fix.

• Twin sticks are real nice for busted shafts/joints. I was able to stay in 4-low (put the front in Neutral) at RC when my front driveshaft busted. Just strapped it to the frame and left it connected to the tcase.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!