2012+ JK hinge paint issue

• So, a buddy of mine at work recently ran into an issue with the paint on his door hinges and one of his hood hinges bubbling up. He had taken his JKU to a body shop in order to have a ding repaired. The guys there pointed out the issue to him. Apparently Chrysler is only willing to repair/replace this under the warranty period for your vehicle. If you are over your mileage or warranty period you are SOL! The hinges are the aluminum ones which I believe are the doors, hood and tailgate hinges. They told him that they would replace the aluminum hinges with steel hinges and repaint to match. I did a cursory search on here but didn't find any threads on the subject...

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16040

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• The hinges on my JK are trashed to the point that the bubbling is now turned to flaking and basically missing paint. I blame the beach and brine from the winter but obviously it's an issue with the hinges themselves.

Strange that the stainless hinges on my TJ have never had an issue. :razz:

• The hinges on my JK are trashed to the point that the bubbling is now turned to flaking and basically missing paint. I blame the beach and brine from the winter but obviously it's an issue with the hinges themselves.

Strange that the stainless hinges on my TJ have never had an issue. :razz:

That's because the shiny blinds everything within a 50' radius and incinerates it within a 12" radius! There's no chance that anything like sand or salt is going to make contact! :innocent:

• So, a buddy of mine at work recently ran into an issue with the paint on his door hinges and one of his hood hinges bubbling up. He had taken his JKU to a body shop in order to have a ding repaired. The guys there pointed out the issue to him. Apparently Chrysler is only willing to repair/replace this under the warranty period for your vehicle. If you are over your mileage or warranty period you are SOL! The hinges are the aluminum ones which I believe are the doors, hood and tailgate hinges. They told him that they would replace the aluminum hinges with steel hinges and repaint to match. I did a cursory search on here but didn't find any threads on the subject...

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16040

not trying to be smart, but why would Chrysler fix it for you if the warranty is up?

• not trying to be smart, but why would Chrysler fix it for you if the warranty is up?

IMO if it's a known and admitted manufacturer defect, they should be responsible whether in/out of warranty. Not necessarily the most optimal financial move for Chrysler BUT good service and customer satisfaction is what will keep people coming back in the future.

• Where do you draw the line then? I'm sure you would have people wanton free engines at 200k miles because some 3.8's have known oil consumption issues. When you buy a vehicle you accept the terms of the warranty.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!