camping trailer build...

• Some of you guys on facebook have seen a few posts about trailer ideas... I want something to both carry camping gear and to sleep in. And, be easy to set up, because messing with tent poles in below freezing temps is a pain. I put some thought into this driving back from Utah last year and was thinking about a small trailer with a fold-out platform for a regular tent but that still required messing with the tent poles. Meh. Fast forward to browsing on harborfreight and saw comments from a guy that built up a small enclosed trailer using a 4x8 trailer frame. Interesting idea there, but not very refined and a bit too much wind drag when I lift it enough to drag over some trails. But, I love the idea of not messing with a tent...

Ok, fast forward a bit more and I'm doing a lot of research into trailer tents. Similar to roof-top tents, but designed for a lower mounting point like on the top of a mil-surp trailer. Downside here is they're expensive, especially when coupled with a quality store-bought trailer like the Manley Basecamp (and that's on the cheaper end!). But, during all that research, I stumbled upon Dinoot, a company that sells fiberglass body kits that mimic a Jeep tub or the popular M416 trailer. Most people either modify a Harbor Freight frame or build one themselves and drop the body kit on top. I really like the look of the "M-series" kit. http://www.dinoot.com/models/m-series.html

I'm watching ebay and the adventure/expedition forums for used trailers, but assuming I can't find one for a crazy low price, I want to build one. Start with either a Harbor Freight frame, shorten/narrow it and upgrade the axle to have brakes and JK bolt pattern wheels, or buy some steel and spend some time at Eastern Marine sourcing the suspension/axle components (and owe some more favors to friends with welders) and build up a custom frame. I think actually installing the body kit will be easy.

After the trailer is done, time for the tent... I really like the OZtrail Outer Ridge Venturer. It's a trailer tent with an extra room on the side to keep you out of the elements a little longer. It's also the model Quantum73 has on his trailer build, so I know it's good. However, it'll cost a fair penny... One benefit of this model is that it includes the trailer lid, which has access panels to get stuff from the trailer without getting out of the tent.

My goal is to get this 100% complete before August so I can do a trial run before going to CO/UT/WY in September. I can see many beach trips in its future, along with an occasional overnight trip to Rausch Creek or AOAA.

Ok... enough of my rambling... anybody have ideas, suggestions or input? :innocent:

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I'd go with an aluminum frame for both the light weight and anti corrosion factor. I have been down to what I believe is Four Acre trailer sales down towards Delaware park and have looked at their aluminum trailers several times. I'm not looking for a camping rig but want to make a beach trailer for hauling/organizing all of my surf gear and maybe two kayaks or paddle boards and a small grille.

• Cool idea. Looking at the Harbor Freight trailer and the Dinoot (?) fiberglass body, you're up to 300 lbs empty. With all your gear you could easily be up to ~500 to 600 lbs loaded I'm guessing?
    I wonder if you get an aluminum frame to save weight and how much weight you'd be saving?
    I was thinking you'd want to shave as much weight as you can for when you start climbing the hills. But you could always set up a camp in a lower area as a base area and then do exhibitions from there. Or maybe gear down your axles a bit.

Either way I'll help you build what I can. But I can't weld aluminum should you decide to go that route.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Good thoughts on weight. The HF trailer weight includes the springs, axle and wheels... I'm not sure how much they weigh. But looking online, I've seen a basic frame design that weighs around 90lbs. And that's with American steel, not dubious Chinese stuff.

While I'll base camp from the trailer, I'll also need to drag it over some of the easier trails. And some steep mountain passes.

Yup, I got photos of that texted to me. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• What's you're crawl ratio like? You might want to either gear down or lower your low range in the t-case.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• What's you're crawl ratio like? You might want to either gear down or lower your low range in the t-case.

He's got a 2012 Rubicon. So 4.10 gear came stock and a 4:1 low range.

Jerry we looked at the plans that were on jeep forum, which he sold to Dinoot.
    Here's another option. They make an off-road version.

http://www.aliner.com/campers/classic/

• I have the Rubi tcase and 3.73 gears (2012+ have 3.73 standard for Rubis because of the extra engine horsepower). I'm planning on getting a 2017 Rubi (with diesel) so it doesn't make sense to research just to pull a light trailer. I'll only be dragging it over green level trails (unless I feel like camping in a crazy spot). The only challenge will be finding the right speed for the crazy I-70 mountain passes so I don't overheat.

Thanks for the popup link, I should have mentioned that I want to keep the trailer narrower than the Jeep and as short as possible for maneuverability and lessened wind drag. The military trailer design fits perfectly with the body being 48" wide at the top and 41" at the bottom. That gives room for full size tires without going super wide. The guy jscherb has a few cool designs... He has a custom hardtop on his LJ and did a pickup design off a TJ a while back.

Jerry / Whatevah

• are you looking for strictly camping or to store extra gear. I had an idea to day about using a hitch mounted cargo carrier, and making a folding tent similar to a roof top tent, but built for 1. You could add legs so it is removable from the jeep, or leave it in place.

• are you looking for strictly camping or to store extra gear. I had an idea to day about using a hitch mounted cargo carrier, and making a folding tent similar to a roof top tent, but built for 1. You could add legs so it is removable from the jeep, or leave it in place.

Both. A hitch carrier is 100% no-go. Too many spots where I'd rip it off. I thought about just doing a roof-top tent, but that doesn't address the extra storage problem and will dramatically impact gas mileage.

Jerry / Whatevah

• The guy I got my hp30 off of had a motorcycle tow behind camper/tent he was selling. It was kinda neat. It folded down flat so you could pack gear on top and it was slim since it was meant to go behind a motorcycle. I imagine you could put bigger tires on it to go offroad but I believe he said he had also towed it behind a jeep. If you want to give him a call to check it out let me know and I can give you the number. I dont know if he still has it though, that was in december. Could be an option though to keep things compact.
    There is also a jeep trailer off of gov printz in wilmington that is made out of a yj tub, roll bar and all. Its pretty sick, on 33's. Just sitting in a junk yard. The guy wont sell it though.......Ive tried :innocent:

• Jerry, good luck with this project. I've been building up my nerve to do the same thing. I also like the Dinoot M-series trailer on top of either a modified HF frame or a home-built frame. With the optional tailgate, that's cool. I think the HF frame would be inexpensive and probably adequate, but it might be too light weight. Some of the Youtube videos from guys that have built their own are great, if only because they give good ideas.

Just today I priced some 1/8" box steel here in the Dover area. Am thinking 2x3 for the base frame. Not sure how much this helps you, but I know you're concerned about weight. So,....

2x3 (1/8" wall) box steel weighs 3.90 pounds per linear foot. My guy sells it for $3.49 per linear foot.
    1x2 ............ 2.25......... @ $2.01
    1.5x1.5 ............. 2.25.......... @ $2.17
    2x2 (3/16 wall)........... 4.32......... @ $4.35

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• I'd go thin wall box tubing since it's a trailer. Or consider C-channel.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'm wondering if it would be better to get an old boat trailer to start with. Cut it down and narrow it to the size you need. Make brackets out of metal angle to bolt the cross beams in where you want them. Then get some spindles and hubs with your Jeeps bolt pattern so the trailer wheels will fit the Jeep wheels in case something happens.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• X2.

2x3x1/8" is overkill for that type of trailer.

Hopefully I'm not hijacking Jerry's thread...

Keith, I'd like to know your recommendation. I was thinking that the 2x3 would be better than the 2x2, because it's both lighter and less expensive (the 2x2 is thicker). My local guy doesn't readily have the 1/8" thickness for the 2x2....don't ask me why. I figure it's better to err on the side of too much beef than not enough (within reason).

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• I can't find the link now, but they recommended 2x3" 3/16 wall box for the tongue and a-frame with 2x2 1/8" for the rest of the frame. I was thinking 2x3 (placed vertically) for the outsides with 2x2 for supports. 2x3 to give more room for attaching tiedowns and tow points. Including one of the fancy tents, I think it'll have less than 700lbs supported by the frame, but might use it occasionally for home projects and hauling bags of stone or the like (I want to do a patio and fire pit in my back yard this year, maybe next).

I think that starting with something as big as a boat trailer will involve too much cutting... be easier to build from scratch, I think. Unless the trailer was free... :)

Jerry / Whatevah

• I can't find the link now, but they recommended 2x3" 3/16 wall box for the tongue and a-frame with 2x2 1/8" for the rest of the frame. I was thinking 2x3 (placed vertically) for the outsides with 2x2 for supports. 2x3 to give more room for attaching tiedowns and tow points. Including one of the fancy tents, I think it'll have less than 700lbs supported by the frame, but might use it occasionally for home projects and hauling bags of stone or the like (I want to do a patio and fire pit in my back yard this year, maybe next).

I think that starting with something as big as a boat trailer will involve too much cutting... be easier to build from scratch, I think. Unless the trailer was free... :)

Well, for the tongue and tie ins yeah.

A lot of the utility trailers only use angle for the bed frame.

Boat trailers tend to have funky axle setups too.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!