Is a 'variable' lift possible?

• I got my new-to-me TJ a few months ago. It came with 33's and a 2 inch lift (OME springs in the front, spacers in the back). I really like the height and the looks. But it looks like it would need 1 more inch to flex w/o the tires rubbing. I also have to take a total 'inventory I'd love to put OME springs in the back to match the front and add a 1in BB when wheeling.
    I'm pretty sure I'll have to upgrade some parts to go the extra inch (front/rear track bar relocation brackets, adjustable track bar, longer sway bar links, maybe drop pitman arm, SYE).

My biggest questions are:
    Are their shocks that can handle the 2 in lift on roads and 3 in lift on trails?
    Would it be too much work to add and remove the spacers every time I wheel (maybe 2x/yr)?
    Would the steering geometry set too high for road, and/or too low for trail?
    Is it even an option?
    Is this just a bad idea?

Thanks for the input,
    Kevin :driving:

• Assuming you have a good assortment of tools, it shouldn't be too difficult to swap out springs. Most shocks sold for a 2" lift will be fine on 3"... many times they're the same ones. However, if this is something you plan on doing, I highly suggest getting a coil spring compressor. That'll make it much much easier to do by yourself, and a lot faster. Frame on jackstands as high as you can go, pull the wheels, drop the jack to the ground, compress and remove the springs, compress and put in the other set. The steering shouldn't change enough to be an issue.

However... a better route is probably a 1.25" body lift from JKS (theirs isn't plastic, like all of the other brands) and a motor mount lift. That'll give you the extra clearance you need without worrying about any of the suspension lift related items...

Why do you only want the extra height for trails? If it's for passengers, consider side steps that you can remove before the trip instead. Somebody used to sell rocker guards designed for that... you could unbolt and flip them high for trail use and then put them back in the low mount for daily use. I wonder if those are still around... found them: http://www.quadratec.com/products/13116_110X_PG.htm http://www.quadratec.com/products/13116_220X_PG.htm

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Edited once, last by whatevah ().

• The lower height was mostly for access. Also, the 'stuffed tire' look has grown on me..
    I did find JKS Front Adjustable Coil Over Spacers, but at ~$500 for the 4 corners - I'll pass!
    I do have to get rid of the chrome 'nerf step bars' it came with, so the Olympic step/guard is good option. In the long run 1.25 inches isn't THAT much, and the cost savings will be huge. Your advise has always been spot on... :up:
    Good things to think about while I wait for the spring thaw!
    Thanks!

• the winter is where we plan how much blood and tears we're going to lose on our Jeeps... lol I've been spending many hours lately planning out my trailer build.

Those ACOS spacers are cool, but certainly pricey. I wonder how many they've actually sold. The 2" spacer lift and 1.25" body lift is pretty popular for a cheap and effective way to fit 33s. You don't have as much flex as you would from a full suspension upgrade, but nowhere near the cost and hassle and for most trails you don't need a ton of suspension travel anyhow. Plus, you'll have a smoother ride. The taller you go, the rougher the ride until you upgrade to long arms or dropped control arm brackets.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!