Help diagnosing 1991 YJ

• So, here it is. My 1991 YJ starts up and drives fine when she is cold. When I drive her for an extended period of time (like 30 minutes), then shut her off, she won't start up again. I have to wait a few minutes, then she will start.
    Details:
    1) There is no cranking or any sound at all when I try to start her.
    2) My gauges are in the process of being replaced, but my engine is not overheating.
    3) If I make several short trips, she starts up fine. It seems to be heat sensitive.
    4) She has done this since I purchased her almost a year ago.

Based on the above, my google search has led me to look toward a bad camshaft sensor. Anyone have some wisdom to pass my way!!!! Thanks!!!

• No Cranking I'd check and make sure your getting power to the starter before replacing parts.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• Based on the above, my google search has led me to look toward a bad camshaft sensor. Anyone have some wisdom to pass my way!!!! Thanks!!!

Cam or Crankshaft sensor will not prevent it from cranking. Those will just prevent it from starting; it would still crank. I'm thinking your starting solenoid is heating up for some reason during the longer drives. Check the wires going to the starter, and of course check your battery cables, their connections, and the battery. I'm actually thinking it might be a bad battery issue. If you have another vehicle, swap in that vehicle's battery to see if the problem persists.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I had the battery tested, and it checked out ok. Could the starter solenoid or the battery be effected by the heat?

Ok so it sounds like you ruled out the battery as a problem. So just so we are a 100% clear when the Jeep will not start and you turn the key the engine does not crank (will not spin over) no clicking or anything?

Neill

• Ok so next time the Jeep will not start you need to see if you have power at the starter when you turb the key.

Neill

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!