free surf fishing tags to auxiliary members?

• Yeah, that's reaching... so are the firefighter/EMT tags (speaking as one!). Most of the FF/EMTs I've seen on the beach with free tags (they get a different sticker than the paying tags) are partying and not even trying to pretend to be fishing. We all already get a $400 DE tax credit, we don't need the free fishing tags.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• i voiced my opinion on their facebook page...

Ive had a surf tag for over 10 years. I pay out of state rates, which have hit INSANE limits in my opinion this year. I found out last year, i can get in-state rates due to my wife's employment...but that doesn't fix the problems

I have attempted to surf fish about 10 times (that's over 100 bucks a year to attempt) my findings are either too many people, disrespectful people, stuck vehicles, no authority to enforce the guidelines...... and the list goes on. i compare my experiences it to trout fishing (battle of the mono filament)

I love the idea of being able to meet up with the crew, throwing a rod in the water, and catching something....but the other couple hundred people around makes it no fun for me (or my family)

Id rather spend the 50 bucks a year for my Maryland Boat license, where anyone on the boat can fish (no additional license) and it comes with a recreational license for me, so i can fish other waters in MD.

I like to fish, but this year ill keep it to the DE state park ponds (ill still get my fishing license and park pass..just not a surf tag) and MD waters.

• Personally, I think some of the freebies and discounts for military, Fire, Police, ect have gone a little too far. Don't get me wrong, I am so proud and thankful to all those who serve and protect, but sometimes things like free surf tags seem to go a little too far. How about a 15-20% discount. I think that is a little more appropriate.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I agree with you, Steve. At the risk of alienating any of our Civil Service heroes, I think even a 10% discount is more than fair. If they want to really push the freebies then maybe just a free annual park pass. It would ensure they aren't contributing to the packed surf fishing beaches while still trying to get people involved in the parks such as Killens Pond, Lums Pond, Trap Pond, etc. :shrug:

• Personally, I think some of the freebies and discounts for military, Fire, Police, ect have gone a little too far. Don't get me wrong, I am so proud and thankful to all those who serve and protect, but sometimes things like free surf tags seem to go a little too far. How about a 15-20% discount. I think that is a little more appropriate.

Trust me there aren't freebies out there for Police and if there are its not safe half the time to speak up and identify . . . Fireguys on the other hand in Delaware, outside of Wilmington are ALL Volunteer and get NOTHING for it outside of a tax break and the pride of being a hose puller :) Even the guys in Wilmington get screwed over by their own City more often then not though.

I don't agree with a Ladies Aux getting it, I understand they do a lot - I'm a member of a Ladies Aux myself so I see what goes on to keep things running for all the volunteers.

I'd rather see a free park pass as opposed to a free surf tag, but that's just my opinion.

• Reading more closely, I noticed there is at least one important "and" in the verbiage.

"Active Delaware volunteer firefighter" means a person who is a member of a Delaware volunteer fire department or Delaware volunteer fire department ladies auxiliary and who responds to at least 20% of the department's annual alarms and/or crew calls and meets the fire department's active requirements, as verified by the President of the fire company, as a nonpaid firefighter."

That leads me to believe their ladies auxiliary is more involved in alarms and calls than we realize. It doesn't change my opinion that giving away a free surf tag is too much of a perk - I still think just a discount or a free park pass is more fitting. But at least it would appear valid that they include the auxiliary if they have a more active role than I'm aware of.

• Reading more closely, I noticed there is at least one important "and" in the verbiage.

"Active Delaware volunteer firefighter" means a person who is a member of a Delaware volunteer fire department or Delaware volunteer fire department ladies auxiliary and who responds to at least 20% of the department's annual alarms and/or crew calls and meets the fire department's active requirements, as verified by the President of the fire company, as a nonpaid firefighter."

That leads me to believe their ladies auxiliary is more involved in alarms and calls than we realize. It doesn't change my opinion that giving away a free surf tag is too much of a perk - I still think just a discount or a free park pass is more fitting. But at least it would appear valid that they include the auxiliary if they have a more active role than I'm aware of.

Many times the Ladies Aux respond also to be ready with water - food on site or at the station upon return. I'm sure some other Fireguys here can chime in moreso, but its kinda like they keep the home fires burning at the station making sure there is food, water etc, especially in the case of a major event. For many volunteer FF, if it weren't for Ladies Aux running fundraisers, providing support at the station etc, they probably wouldn't exist. Its also not unusual for a woman to be a FF and a member of the Ladies Aux.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!