Chief's offroad trailer build

• Is the removable panel for accommodating longer items in the trailer?

No, not really. I just wanted to be able to be able to remove it for repair or to change the look/theme. If I did carry something longer than the trailer bed, I guess I might try lowering the tailgate. Or, as I mentioned before, it may be possible to remove the tailgate altogether.

On a related note, I'm having trouble finding a metal 5-point star that's in the 6-9 inch size.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• No, not really. I just wanted to be able to be able to remove it for repair or to change the look/theme. If I did carry something longer than the trailer bed, I guess I might try lowering the tailgate. Or, as I mentioned before, it may be possible to remove the tailgate altogether.
    On a related note, I'm having trouble finding a metal 5-point star that's in the 6-9 inch size.

Message Dugan. Joe is going to be burning a bunch of stuff out this week for the misfit show this weekend and might be able to accommodate you.

• At yesterday's Jeeps for Joy a couple of folks mentioned that I might be overdue for an update on this trailer build thread. So, here ya go....

Here's a view from the rear corner. I painted the removable tailgate panel to match my Wrangler. Did the same with the fenders. I like the way the star turned out. It "floats" about an inch away from the tailgate panel. A ton of work went into mounting that star, but I think it was worth it. Now, I'm thinking about putting a small 12V light behind the star and tying it into the trailer's brake lights. The tailgate chain is protected and silenced using a 26" bicycle inner tube. The chain and the anchor bolts are removable. Lastly, I plug welded those handy tie-downs on each rib of the trailer -- a total of 10 of them.

Both the gas and water jerry cans will ride in special racks on the sides of the trailer. I noticed the rubber seal on the spout of this metal, gas jerry can is decomposing. Does anyone know where I can get new seals? Are those seals really that important?

Edit

Edited 4 times, last by Chief57 ().

• You're right Jim, that star looks pretty awesome!! Much better than I was picturing in my head when we were talking Saturday. I like that the star is contoured and not just flat metal. Your plan for a light behind it for illumination too! If you use another color other than red, I'd tie it into the running lights instead of the brake lights.

Looking at your chain covers, if you haven't already thought of it, you might want to add one or two holes for drainage at the lowest point where it bends. I know chain is cheap but why deal with the headache of replacing a rusty chain or having old stagnant water pour out when you drop the tailgate? You can probably make a perfect little drain just using a hole punch. Mark the center of 3 or 4 links and punch through both sides of the tube. That way, no matter which way the chain sits, you should have at least one or more open drains low enough to let water escape. Just a suggestion.

Also, my OCD is screaming at me to pull those sections of intertube inside out so that there's no white lettering visible. :S :spinrhead: :D

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Chris, I'm not surprised one bit that you'd know about the jerry can gaskets on Amazon! You're like a walking encyclopedia. Thanks very much -- I will order.

Jeremy, you'll be glad to know that I did, indeed, cut small drain holes in the inner tube -- which does not have any white lettering, by he way. So, hopefully I'm good with rainwater drainage. I actually would rather install a white light behind the star, rather than a red one. Am assuming that it doesn't have to be red by law. I'll need to brush up on the wiring harness color codes so I'll know just which wire to tap into for the running lights.

• No problem Jim. I acquired a new red Blitz jerry can a few months ago and had looked up options for a better pouring nozzle. Not sure what I'm going to do with the can - shoot me a message if you're interested in it.

I think Jeremy was referring to this angle of the innertube:

• No problem Jim. I acquired a new red Blitz jerry can a few months ago and had looked up options for a better pouring nozzle. Not sure what I'm going to do with the can - shoot me a message if you're interested in it.

I think Jeremy was referring to this angle of the innertube:

Ouch! After reading his post, I ran out to the garage to see the inner tube lettering for myself...but I only glanced at the PS chain. Jeremy is right....the DS inner tube needs some attention! Good catch, Jeremy! Chris, I'll get with you soon to chat about the jerry can and options for pouring.

• Ouch! After reading his post, I ran out to the garage to see the inner tube lettering for myself...but I only glanced at the PS chain. Jeremy is right....the DS inner tube needs some attention! Good catch, Jeremy! Chris, I'll get with you soon to chat about the jerry can and options for pouring.

Get a plastic Jerry can. Specter makes them for the military now. Way nicer.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• I should have known that you were already on top of it sir!

Chris, I'm not surprised one bit that you'd know about the jerry can gaskets on Amazon! You're like a walking encyclopedia. Thanks very much -- I will order.

Jeremy, you'll be glad to know that I did, indeed, cut small drain holes in the inner tube -- which does not have any white lettering, by he way. So, hopefully I'm good with rainwater drainage. I actually would rather install a white light behind the star, rather than a red one. Am assuming that it doesn't have to be red by law. I'll need to brush up on the wiring harness color codes so I'll know just which wire to tap into for the running lights.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Get a plastic Jerry can. Specter makes them for the military now. Way nicer.
    Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I actually have a plastic version (tan color) that I intend to use exclusively for water.....if and when I ever actually do use this behemoth trailer for camping. I can't tell you where I got it, but let's just say.....I was a soldier for a very long time. :D

• I actually would rather install a white light behind the star, rather than a red one. Am assuming that it doesn't have to be red by law. I'll need to brush up on the wiring harness color codes so I'll know just which wire to tap into for the running lights.

In PA you cannot have white lights on the back of a vehicle while it is moving forward.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!