Chief's offroad trailer build

• I'm not so sure how much interest there is in following my trailer build, but I'd like to share a few photos and captions to chronicle the effort. Going forward -- after this initial batch -- I'm going to make a real effort to improve the quality of my pictures. I'm not sure how you'd like to see the pics either -- full-size or clickable resized pics that link to the original. I'll start with the clickable resized ones.

The very basic sketch I made for the box and tongue...just to get me going.

Getting started -- Just a bunch of pieces of steel strapped together...and a cut axle that turned out to be perfect just the way it was before I cut it. This was a $78 mistake I will never make again.

Feeling very satisfied with my first ever major welding job. The frame is taking shape. I'm hardly minding that my garage is a certified disaster zone.

TheDarkSide has been a great helper, not only with labor, but with ideas. He helped me fabricate these custom spring mounts. I will market them to Quadratec one day!! (He'll get 5 percent of the profit.)

Welding, grinding, welding some more, grinding some more....

With my 33" tires mounted up, this is what the upside down frame looks like -- with the new Eastern Marine axle. For starters, I removed one of the leaves in the YJ springs Andy donated to the project. I think I can always put them back if needed, though longer U-bolts will be required....rats! The trailer tire track is now the same as the TJ's tire track.

Andy showing that steel who's the boss! Those are jerry can shelves he's working on. There's a shelf on each side.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Keith, the 4x5 tongue idea came before I became a master of welding and steel. Andy and I cogitated on the tongue this evening, and we're now inclined to try a 3x3x1/4 receiver tube that will stick out from the frame about 2 feet. The trick will be to get a 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 1/4 tube steel to fit inside that -- to give me my telescoping/removable tongue. I predict some hefty grinding. We're not married to that idea, so if you have a suggestion for a removable tongue, please share.

Yes, Andy can resemble a serial killer, with or without a welding helmet. :laughing:

• Some more recent pictures on the trailer build......

The 3x3 tongue receiver extends the full length of the box and is welded to each crossmember. In fact, I extended it out the back a couple of inches in case I want to weld a collar around it for extra strength.

I figure this will be his one day, so I made Michael learn the fine art of grinding metal. He was overjoyed with this job! (Insert sarcastic laugh here.)

It's starting to look like a trailer here. Note the cooler basket frame is almost done. This is a good opportunity to give a shout-out to former DEJA member James MacDonald -- does everyone remember him? -- for giving me these wheels/tires before heading out to Japan (I think). I've had them laying around for years now, and finally I'm putting them to good use. Thanks James!

I'm not quite sure how this end of the receiver will be used....but I think it has plenty of potential, including recovery.

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• He looks real enthusiastic about grinding!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Whats on the top of that receiver tube in the last pic? Is that weld? :shrug: ....Pic is kinda fuzzy

Ed, as was mentioned, that spot above the receiver tube was hit with a flap disk to clean the metal a bit before welding. I could see where you'd think the contrast between shiny and dull looks a little strange.

• More from the trailer build....

The basic frame, including the front cargo rack. It was extra effort, but I made 45 degree corners on the rack to hedge against hitting the corner of the Jeep during a tight turn.

The 2.5" square stock slides into the 3" square stock nicely, but I did not do a good job of lining up all four holes for the bolt. I was able to get this Grade 8 bolt through, but I am not satisfied and need to do some more work to get it right. Notice that I welded a couple of Grade 8 washers around the bolt holes to shore up the strength. I am happy with the concept of a removable coupler, though.

Here's the trailer after my very first "shakedown cruise" down the road at 60 mph. No issues to report.

Feeling like a proud parent, here I am after the first test drive...showing off the cargo rack and the removable trailer jack. I threw an empty cooler on the rack for the test drive for no real reason.

The trailer jack came from Eastern Marine. I like the removable feature, and I'm going to bolt -- not weld -- a nice quality swivel caster to the bottom so I can easily push it around the garage. I could weld it, but something tells me one day I'm going to want to remove the caster for some reason. It's a tall trailer, so adding the caster provides another benefit -- it allows the jack to reach farther.

• Can anyone give me some ideas about "theft-proofing" this trailer? I'd like to know how I can add some discreet identifying marks/numbers, and if something like Lojack (which I've heard of but know absolutely nothing about) is feasible. The removable coupler is one anti-theft feature, but I'm sure I could do more. Thanks.

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• Can anyone give me some ideas about "theft-proofing" this trailer? I'd like to know how I can add some discreet identifying marks/numbers, and if something like Lojack (which I've heard of but know absolutely nothing about) is feasible. The removable coupler is one anti-theft feature, but I'm sure I could do more. Thanks.

The frame will get stamped with a VIN when you title/tag it....if you want you could duplicate it somewhere else on the underside in the event it gets stolen and the thief grinds off the 'obvious' one.

As far as preventing theft? Pulling the removable tongue would likely suffice. As you implied it seems like the easiest solution. Another idea that I've seen is a chain or cable run through one/both wheels and around the frame (and occasionally a fixed object) to prevent it from rolling. The more sophisticated tracking lojack-type devices usually have a subscription cost along with the initial expense that I'd fear would exceed the replacement cost of the trailer over time.

--Ian

• Mine was stamped. :shrug: Had to bring it during the day the auto theft unit was there and it was stamped 'DSPATU<vin>' on the tongue.

Regardless...the idea was stamp the vin they assign somewhere else.

--Ian

Interesting. I just went thru the normal lane at Georgetown with mine.

• DSP will stamp it when you take it to DMV.... You can buy a set of stamps from harbor freight and re-stamp the vin that DSP gives you into other locations like Ian said. Steel and metal liquidators/Fazios in Newport and Eastern marine sell safety chains with various style hooks on them for reasonable prices.($8.00-$10 each). Both places are around the same price. Just had to buy some giant 12k chains for both of my trailers as the old hooks don't fit into the hitch on my new truck. My boat trailer has a tab welded on the underside with holes drilled into it that the chains bolt to. My car trailer just has holes drilled into the angle and are bolted on. Also, fwiw my boat trailer has a similar removable tounge and is held in place with a keyed hitch reciever style lock.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

Let them wonder.....

You'll need the trailer just for him!!
    [img alt=world-biggest-pitbull-the-hulk-dark-dynasty-k9-2 width=605 height=402]http://static.boredpanda.com/b…ulk-dark-dynasty-k9-2.jpg[/img]

Can still be defeated but not very easily...
    [img alt=Denver Donut Wheel Boot Tire Lock Heavy Duty width=172]http://www.prohoists.com/Products/photos/353_1.jpg[/img]

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!