Monstaliner YJ

• So last week I spent prepping Chloe for a little cosmetic upgrade. Spent the nicer days removing interior, sanding and priming. Drove her down to my parents house Saturday after work to work in the garage as they were calling for rain.

Prep:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Looks great! Did you roll it on or spray?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• John, I rolled it on. The entire 1st coat I did myself and I guilt tripped my wife into helping me with the 2nd coat. I completely forgot about the tailgate so it was a last min effort to do it. It only got one coat b/c of my mental absence and you can tell the difference if you look closely. I have a plan to do the rear wheel wells in the future so I'll do another coat on the tailgate at that point.

Geoff, it was sooooo stinking humid this past weekend that the stuff was curing almost too fast! I had to keep constantly stirring the can when I added more to the roller pan (burned up my HF drill). Even in the pan I was stirring it with the brushes while cutting in. The 2nd coat has a few small clumps/chunks in it as I was getting a bit apathetic towards the end. I let it sit until 22:30 Sunday (again high humidity) before I reinstalled the driver's seat, belts and accel pedal. I had an air compressor and my tools as well but I had 3 layers of thick cardboard under it all until I got home and unloaded it all. The directions say 24 hours before light use and 3-7 days to fully cure. I won't be installing anything else until this weekend. As it's a moisture curing urethane the humidity helped it set up a little faster.

All said and done, I am REALLY happy with the way this came out. I'm also glad my wife talked me out of the Zombie Sunset (offish orange) and into the Med Quartz Gray! The gray goes well with the green piping on my seat covers and the green LED lighting.

There are still some other items that need to be addressed in the near future. I'll be painting the rollbar black as well as repainting the shifter cover plate and dash panels. I'll also be making a new Superman patch to replace the one that got a bit abused during the Monstaliner install. I can also reinstall my console and tuffy boxes... and my stereo... it's been tooooooo long w/o any music in the Jeep!! :doh: C'est le vie!

• I used Herculiner and rolled it on. Only problem I have with it is the textured finish seems to hold dirt so it always looks dirty. Well, ok it is dirty....but there are a few spots were it pealed off.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Looks good!

Thanks! Gotta get together with y'all sometime soon!

I used Herculiner and rolled it on. Only problem I have with it is the textured finish seems to hold dirt so it always looks dirty. Well, ok it is dirty....but there are a few spots were it pealed off.

I'm not certain but I think that's what the PO used on the floorboards. The passenger side was a little easier getting off b/c the heater core was leaking antifreeze over there. I still went through 4 or 5 60grit pads on the front floorboards to get most of it off.

• Wow, even pulled the shifters. I don't envy the prep work, but it looks good. :) I've got a gallon of the black Monstaliner waiting in my garage and a quart of Chassis Saver for the trailer. Figure that I'll use the leftover Monstaliner on my front bumper. Any tips to share while it's fresh on your mind (and hands, I'm sure)?

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Thanks all!

I used an air compressor and air gun to blow all the dust out that I couldn't vac up. It was surprising to see how much dust the air gun actually blew out (before and after sanding). It made wiping it down w/ the acetone a little cleaner.

I used a palm sander and 60 grit pads for all of the sanding work. I never even took the scuffing pad that came with the kit out of the bag. I used a foam sanding block where the sander wouldn't reach. You don't have to go full bore on the surface... just enought to degloss and rough up the surface.

For the bolt holes for seat brackets, belts, etc., I used foam ear plugs. You can roll right over them and not have to worry about cutting in around each hole. I used the ones that are joined by the plastic cord and cut the cord about 3" from the plug so it looked sort of like a cherry stem. Made it very easy to pull them out of the holes after the 2nd coat.

If you're working in high humidity, it's great to have a 2nd person to help apply the ML!! The 2nd coat took about 30 mins less but even then the ML was setting up pretty fast. After cutting in my side, I started rolling the larger surfaces and the ML was getting globby due to it setting up. I pulled a lot of those globs out (mostly the larger ones) and would then have to roll back over it. Towards the end, it it was smaller than 1/2 a dime it just got left and rolled over.

I didn't have any issue with the rollers chunking out. The directions say to use medium pressure while rolling. I only used one of the smaller roller pads as it was easier to use the sponge in tight spots to raise the ML's texture. The bigger rollers worked flawlessly. I'm betting Stafford was man-handling the roller and there may or may not have been alcohol involved. :innocent:

Also, I taped nothing. I didn't really see any need to as the upper edge of the tub under the rail and door jambs no one will ever see and there's a raised profile that I used as my stopping point (I'll try and get a pic of that later). The roll bar is going to be painted using some Rustoleum Hammered black and will then probably have covers over them at some point.. so no need to worry if a little of the ML got on it. We wiped down the soft top rails with acetone after each coat to remove the errant ML finger/hand print. You can actually see Dawn doing that in a few of the pics. Came off very easily so no worries if you slip up. With a newer, shinier vehicle though you'll have to rewax any are you have to wipe down with MEK/acetone.

Can't really think of anything else at the moment off the top of my head....

• Yes indeed... Junk yard run.. Dinner.. Drinks.. Whatever! [emoji2]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!