DE Vehicle Inspections - TIRES

• I have failed the vehicle inspection process after passing it on one other occasion in DE and several times in MD. A few things like replace the wiper blades and leave the doors at home (tint) for my next visit are easy. I am also being told my tires are sticking out past the states limit of 1". I am hoping to find someone with an extra set of tires I could borrow for a day. I would happily make a contribution to the club or individual for assistance. Before children I was a member of the Maryland Creepers and wheeled a few times a year. I remember loaning my OEM tires out for this very reason and am hoping someone can do the same for me. I live in Lewes, DE. The jeep is a 2005 TJ", I pieced together the 4” lift from a few kits, bilstein 5100 shocks, warn front and rear bumpers, schrockworks rockers, 33 x 12.5 Mickey M/T’s, rubi flares painted to match and lots of other stuff I could remember before kids. Thanks in advance for your help or any guidance in getting past this hurdle.

• I see what you are talking about, it really is landscape edge. I can not screw this into the rubi flares I purchased and had painted to match the body. Frankly when I look at my JEEP I do not even see an inch sticking out in the front MAYBE the back. I am a little frustrated but I am going to give the community here some time to respond and hope for a set of tires. If I have to buy a set of tires I will and regardless I want to be a part of DJA. Let me find a few PICS of my TJ one of the few things that really makes me smile each day.

• Where did you go through inspection? It's really hit and miss with DMV sites and even different people at a site. I went through the DMV on 13 up by 495 and didn't get dinged for tires, but they did fail me for not having reflectors (LED Brake lights.) I've got 33" Goodyears and rubi flares and they weren't given a second look. I do have a bit more backspacing, 4", instead of the normal 3.5", so they do tuck a little better.

I'm up in Newark, but would be willing to swap tires if you want to try mine to get through up here in the north.

-Joe

• IMO, I would think if they dinged you for the window tint that they noted it on your paperwork. If you show up w/o doors they might be more than a bit suspicious and fail you again. Hope they don't and you don't have to make another trip. :up:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I eventually found someone who had a set tires and was able to get the Jeep through inspection. I ended up peeling the tint off the front windows. In registering and inspecting another vehicle I was told because I was dinged on the first pass for tint he felt the doors were required. He also confirmed the Wrangler could pass inspections without doors as long as it had mirrors. I have been through it in the past without doors here in DE so I assume most know this. As promised here is a picture of the JEEP, since I haven't been to the likes of RC in 5+ years it wouldn't be fitting to post anything else.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!