painting a TJ hardtop

• I'm planning to paint a hardtop that I recently picked up for my TJ. I'm not paying for a professional paint job so I'm just planning to lightly sand, degrease, then rattle can. Anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?

• The factory TJ tops are fairly textured.

I'd probably use a soft wire brush (hand) or maybe even steel wool rather than sandpaper.

Only other thing, if you get temped to remove the rear window, be extremely careful as several here have broken them trying to re-install it.

• Don't laugh, but I got great results using a can of oil base Satin Rustolium, (thinned) and a good paint pad. Used a wide 8" pad for the larger areas and a smaller pad for the detail. Since its self leveling, there were no "brush marks" and lasted at least 4 years before selling the hard top.

You might also look at spray on Plastidip

[youtube]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/youtube]

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!