Windows 10 upgrade issues......surprise, surprise!

• Like most of you who bought computers with Windows 8 installed, I couldn't wait for the upgrade to Windows 10. With all the hate among people and ethnic groups in the world today, I'm sure the one issue that can unite us all is our collective hatred of Windows 8. I have three computers. One laptop seamlessly migrated to Windows 10. One laptop has been nothing but a headache, and is still not migrated. And my desktop -- after numerous attempts at the upgrade -- is now deemed to be "not upgradeable." (I'm so sorry I bought a Gateway product. Their support has been terrible.) I'm on a first name basis with MS technicians in Manilla, and that's not a good thing.

I'd like to know what everyone else's upgrade experience has been. It would help if you'd mention what computer you have. BTW, I did learn from all this that your RAM size does matter with the upgrade.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Mine went smooth. I have a Dell Inspiron, Core I7 and 8 gigs of RAM

I signed up for the upgrade notification and it didnt "push" on its own. After a few days I got impatient and manually downloaded it and it worked fine.

Been using about a month now and no issues at all.

• How old is your desktop Jim?

There comes a point where the hardware is too old and slow to handle OS upgrades.

I really thought Gateway has gone by the road side quite some time ago.

• How old is your desktop Jim?

There comes a point where the hardware is too old and slow to handle OS upgrades.

I really thought Gateway has gone by the road side quite some time ago.

The desktop is about 3 years old. Other Gateways of that age are apparently ok to upgrade, but for some reason unknown to me this one isn't. Hate to say it, but I may be looking at buying a new computer -- and hopefully that means the box only, since the current monitor and keyboard work fine.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• If you have or plan on upgrading to Windows 10 you really need to look into the privacy settings. It's basically spyware, really crazy the data that gets sent by default out of the box.
    http://www.techradar.com/us/ne…-change-right-now-1301257

RAM is so cheap these days there's no reason to run less than 8GB if you machine can support it. Go to crucial.com and run their scanner to see what your upgrade options are.

edit: Windows 7 and 8 users need to worry about those privacy settings as well.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/go…-windows-7-and-windows-8/

• I think you will see most enterprise users sticking with 7 until such time that MS kills it off like they did XP.

A competent IT admin should be able to control which updates are passed along.

• If you have or plan on upgrading to Windows 10 you really need to look into the privacy settings. It's basically spyware, really crazy the data that gets sent by default out of the box.
    http://www.techradar.com/us/ne…-change-right-now-1301257

I was appalled at all of the personal stuff that Microsoft wants everyone to make freely available to them. Many of us are smart enough to be aware of those types of privacy settings in computer software and phone apps, but I do believe that most of the general public is not all that tech-savvy and most people simply click 'accept' for nearly everything.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!