Christmas shopping advise (axle and shocks)

• I am thinking of shopping for a few things for mt 2001 TJ, and need advise. It has 5 spd / 6 cyl with the stock 3.73 axles and 32" tires. It feels sluggish and it never seems to be in the 'right gear'. I was thinking of going to 4.56,. or is 4.27 a better fit? Also, is one brand that much better then the other?

the next 'gift' was going to be shocks.. I'm looking at the Bilstein 5100 / Fox 2.0 / OME. What would be the best?

And if the bank isn't broken: i'm dreaming of a SYE, is the Rugged Ridge Mega Short SYE a decent way to go?

This is my DD and I don't wheel much, and haven't wheeled this jeep,,, yet. ;D

Thanks,
    Kevin

[color=rgb(19, 19, 19)][size=1.55em][/size][/color]

• The the general rule of thumb for a 4.0l 5spd is 4.56 for 35" tires, 4.10 for 33" tires. Not that the 4.56 geasrs will be bad. They will just spin higher at speed. Though they will feel better off road.

On the sye a standard unit will work. U will need adjustable rear uppers to get the drivline angles correct. Also most of the sye kits are the same but everything i see from rr just seams to be garbage.

• I was going to stay with the 32's. I was originally thinking of the 4.10, but i just have to justify to my wallet jumping 1 ratio. Will it be worth it?

Astape - Thanks for the info on RR! is that for skids too, or just mechanical stuff? Any opinion on Alloy USA? [color=rgb(19, 19, 19)][size=1.55em]

kevin[/size][/color]

• Did any of the TJs come with 4:10 axles like the 4cyl YJs did? Might be cheaper to source replacement axles instead of just gears.

I installed a POS PORC SYE and CJ Tatton CV driveshaft for right around $400 total.

LOL- edited to mask my subconscious disdain for my Jeep! :roflmao:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Edited once, last by Kuntryboy816 ().

• Pretty sure you won't find 4.27 gears for the D35, and the TJ D30 is questionable.

• Going from 3.73 to 4.11 will only increase your RPM's by about 200.

Not even close to worth it for what you will spend on parts and the install.

IMO, go with 4.56.

I'm running those with 33's and couldn't be happier.

As you add more stuff (weight) you will appreciate running slightly higher in the power band.

• I have the porc one on my street jeep. Rr stuff is just cheap in price and qualiy. U get what u pay for.

• when I upgraded to 4.10s with my 33s I loved it. Never drove on 4.56s, so I can't compare. But it was definitely what it needed. I had just about every skid on it too. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion, if you spend a lot of time on the highway, maybe take a look at the gear ratio calculators to see what you'd be spinning at ...

• when I upgraded to 4.10s with my 33s I loved it. Never drove on 4.56s, so I can't compare. But it was definitely what it needed. I had just about every skid on it too. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion, if you spend a lot of time on the highway, maybe take a look at the gear ratio calculators to see what you'd be spinning at ...

I think it depends where you live also.

Delaware is pretty much flat, down here where I'm at now I can leave it in 5th gear and it will pull the hills just fine. If I had 4.10's I'd be constantly shifting.

What were your stock gears Sal ?

• I'm thinking the 4.56 is for me. i don't do a lot of highway driving, so that's won't be a big issue.

I'm doing skids, so I'll prob put off the SYE for now. I'm on a 2" lift w/ TC drop, and want to do a tummy tuck so that's still something i want to do.

now I have to pay the piper.. :doh:

kevin

• And if the bank isn't broken: i'm dreaming of a SYE, is the Rugged Ridge Mega Short SYE a decent way to go?

This is my DD and I don't wheel much, and haven't wheeled this jeep,,, yet. ;D
    [color=rgb(19, 19, 19)][size=1.55em][/size][/color]

If you don't wheel much, your money is better spent elsewhere than a SYE.

EXCEPTION: you'll want an SYE IF you experience driveline vibrations that you can pinpoint to the driveshaft. As lift increases, driveshaft angles increase. Two problems caused by this are possible driveline vibrations and more stress on the u-joints. Your lift is mild, and you already have the TC drop which minimizes the increase of the driveshaft angles, so I would be surprised if you experience driveline vibration troubles.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• what type of ride do you want? the 5100's will prob be a bit firmer and tighter, but the OME will be more comfy. I currently have the 5100s and they are fine. I would be interested in trying the OME, I want the soft flexy feel.

• If you don't wheel much, your money is better spent elsewhere than a SYE.

EXCEPTION: you'll want an SYE IF you experience driveline vibrations that you can pinpoint to the driveshaft. As lift increases, driveshaft angles increase. Two problems caused by this are possible driveline vibrations and more stress on the u-joints. Your lift is mild, and you already have the TC drop which minimizes the increase of the driveshaft angles, so I would be surprised if you experience driveline vibration troubles.

Altierior: Thanks, the SYE was one of those 'dream items'. I really don't need one. I'm getting skids and gears.

what type of ride do you want? the 5100's will prob be a bit firmer and tighter, but the OME will be more comfy. I currently have the 5100s and they are fine. I would be interested in trying the OME, I want the soft flexy feel.

E-Rock: You may have cost me an extra $60 for the OME's, but you have saved me more than money can buy,,, (a happier wife :up: ). LOL

I have bumpers, hard top, skids, and sliders. I can't see ever having a winch. So 'light load' or 'heavy load' with the OME shocks?

Kevin

• Fwiw, when the time comes... just get the regular SYE. http://www.quadratec.com/products/52237_99_07.htm The Mega-short is intended for extra-tall lifts and a longer driveshaft than the normal spec.

Light load unless you plan on driving a bit loaded to the gills for camping or the like.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I'd say Skid Row for skids, their design is a single skid for both engine and trans. They've been the go-to choice for TJs for a while.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!