Exhaust Header recomendations.

• The gods of jeep mods do not want me to get my 02 TJ to Aaron to get new gears in it.. :bang:

Last night a freeze plug started spraying coolant, so it is in a local shop, and since the header has to come off (and is starting to squeal like a stuck pig), it only makes sense to swap in a new one. Question is: is the Banks worth the money?
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/17601_500_07.htm

All replies are appreciated,
    kevin

• I just checked the 'replacement parts' section and the Banks is $110 more then the Crown. So that jives with what you're seeing. I just know that the 2-piece that started using in 01 has been know to have cracking issues.

• i thought all the OE ones had cracking issues...?

I think I saw some aftermarket ones with some flex pipe built in to prevent cracking. I would think not cracking would be the biggest thing to look at as you aren't really looking at much HP gains with "high performance" ones

• The factory two piece manifolds are less likely to crack as they are not connected together. 'Every one piece set ive seen eventually crack. My factory two piece manifolds are still going strong on my trail rig (which is not driven lightly). :innocent: You can pick up new factroy 2 piece manifolds from rock auto at a reasonable price. I wouldnt waste my money on the banks crap.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I'm due for headers too, I haven't looked into pricing much but I've been leaning towards OEM/Mopar considering it lasted for 17 years. I think I saw prices in the $350 neighborhood

Geoff, Ive had good luck with the aftermarket one piece manifolds on my old TJ. It had the flex pipe in it though which I think lets them live longer. For $117 on Rock Auto you cant go wrong.

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

• Ive had good luck with the aftermarket one piece manifolds on my old TJ. It had the flex pipe in it though which I think lets them live longer. For $117 on Rock Auto you cant go wrong.

My 2001 has a 2 piece that feed into two down pipes that feed two down pipes. like this:

not sure how that would fit.

• I was replying to Staffords comment. I believe his Jeep is older and uses a one piece setup? I could be wrong though. Obviously you need the two piece, which can be had for about $125 per section from rock auto. May as well throw new o2 sensors in while you're in there.

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

• Fwiw, the stock manifold in my 2001 (XJ, but it's the same thing) cracked and I replaced it with a Banks. The Banks lasted 2-3 years, and was replaced under warranty. That one cracked after another 3 or so years and was replaced last year. They will all crack without a flex pipe to reduce the stress of the motor twisting in the motor mounts. I usually recommend putting a section of stainless mesh pipe into the crossover pipe.

I do like the thoughts about going with an OEM type piece, you don't get much more power out of a header, certainly not worth the price difference. I went with the Banks for the then-lifetime warranty.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Geoff, Ive had good luck with the aftermarket one piece manifolds on my old TJ. It had the flex pipe in it though which I think lets them live longer. For $117 on Rock Auto you cant go wrong.

Same price on amazon but no shipping with prime last one I ordered.

• I have purchased a banks knock off and will put it in this spring.I have ordered some header wrap to help with the heat issues. paid $140 for it and it has the same specs as the banks just not the price. :wavey:

• Will the two piece fit on the early engines? I know his is not that style but I'm curious. I swapped mine with the one piece with the flex pipe and it's been good but if I ever swap again I'd prefer the two piece.

• Will the two piece fit on the early engines? I know his is not that style but I'm curious. I swapped mine with the one piece with the flex pipe and it's been good but if I ever swap again I'd prefer the two piece.

You would need the later model down pipe with two separate outlets. Additionally you might have to plug up a few of the o2 sensors. Mine has 4 of them.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!