Dashboard lights

• I've noticed that the backlighting behind the AC/heater controls on my 1998 TJ are pretty dim. I have no idea what the quantity and type of bulbs are back there, so I'm wondering if perhaps one or two bulbs have burnt out. (The speedo/tach section of the dash illuminates fine.)

Would someone please school me on how the AC/heater controls are illuminated, including 1) how easy/hard is it to replace bulbs, and 2) are aftermarket bulbs available (LEDs?) that are better than OEM (for brighter lighting)? Thank you.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• I replaced the dash with white led's a few years ago, much easier on the eyes than the yellow-ish bulbs. Had a few die relatively quickly but since then they've been going for years without issue, one of the best bolt on upgrades out there imho. I wouldn't want the heater control ones to be any brighter than stock, the brighter you make it inside the harder it is to see outside at night.

• I replaced the dash with white led's a few years ago, much easier on the eyes than the yellow-ish bulbs. Had a few die relatively quickly but since then they've been going for years without issue, one of the best bolt on upgrades out there imho. I wouldn't want the heater control ones to be any brighter than stock, the brighter you make it inside the harder it is to see outside at night.

x2 on the LEDs... I switched my stock bulbs to green LEDs a few years back and they've been going strong ever since. I installed the 5 SMD (surface mounted diode) bulbs for the reason that Stafford stated. The 20 SMDs would've been way too bright and caused too much glare. At some point I want to look at getting the white vinyl overlays for the gauges too.

Under dash lights are 10" LED strips

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I want to do that but most of my gauge lights don't work. I think it's a grounding issue with the crappy CJ wiring.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Thanks for all the good replies to my question. The Wrangler Forum thread that Keith shared was useful, but the hotlinks inside that thread no longer work. The bottom line is that this is what I'm now looking to buy -- a type 74 cool white wedge-based LED. Here's a link to what I'm looking at:

https://www.superbrightleds.co…/228/#/tab/Specifications

I understand these are not dimmable, but I guess I'll try them anyway. If I'm off target, please let me know. If anyone's going to show up to the member appreciation party with dashboard LEDs installed, please let me know so I can take a look at them.

• I'll be at the party as well, Jim.

Not sure if the ones in the link you posted are more expensive bc of the type/size but you can compare those with this seller on Amazon (Jtech). I bought mine in 2013 and they're still going strong.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• You can look at mine, dash only no HVAC. Back when I did it there weren't any LEDs for the dome light or maybe they were too directional, I forget. If you see anything about replacing the dome light let me know.

This is a better thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f…easy-and-cheap-91949.html

As I was poking around the web, I went to Stu Olson's website and found this regarding dome lighting:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/dome/dome-1.htm

• I'll be at the party as well, Jim.

Not sure if the ones in the link you posted are more expensive bc of the type/size but you can compare those with this seller on Amazon (Jtech). I bought mine in 2013 and they're still going strong.

Well, last night I pulled the trigger on these lights. I'm holding my breath, but even if they don't work out it's still not a lot of money. I appreciate your input!
    http://jtechnow.hostedbyamazon…2825-Lights/dp/B00BUZ6COW

Ok now I'm totally confused. The lights I bought -- blue 5x 510 20-SMD 2825 W5W LED car light bulbs -- from TECHnow are apparently wrong! My son (Lil' Chief) went to do the bulb swap yesterday while I was on National Guard duty, and he said the base of the new bulbs won't fit into the circular mounting holes. Unfortunately, he closed up the dashboard before I got home, so I did not get to witness this for myself. Here is a picture of my TECHnow invoice, including an actual bulb.

Did I screw up? Did Lil' Chief screw up? Is this part of a vast right wing conspiracy? I need answers!!

[img width=1200 height=616]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=47192[/img]

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• When you are done, you can watch this...

[youtube]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/youtube]

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• OK, I've now seen for myself. I have the wrong bulbs. I still don't get it -- I don't know what to do different. I just took a picture of the current bulb next to the LED bulb, just for perspective. Can anyone (Kuntryboy816? Stafford?) give me the correct ordering information for an LED that will fit my 1998 TJ? Jeremy, it appears that I ordered the exact same bulb (except different color) that you ordered. Is the problem that I have a TJ and you have a YJ?

• OK, I've now seen for myself. I have the wrong bulbs. I still don't get it -- I don't know what to do different. I just took a picture of the current bulb next to the LED bulb, just for perspective. Can anyone (Kuntryboy816? Stafford?) give me the correct ordering information for an LED that will fit my 1998 TJ? Jeremy, it appears that I ordered the exact same bulb (except different color) that you ordered. Is the problem that I have a TJ and you have a YJ?

How many LEDS are on that thing?

You're just trying to back light the dash, not land 747's.

I believe this is what you need: https://www.superbrightleds.co…e-wedge-retrofit-car/227/

• The bulb to the left looks like its the hi beam indicator. What about your dash bulbs? As I explained, you twist and remove the bulb and connector from the back of the panel and then remove the bulb from the connector. Read the massive thread I posted earlier.

194 / 74 is the right bulb. It looks like you simply didn't remove it from the assembly. Pull the bulb out. :doh:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!