Emergency transport in the snow

• I haven't transported anyone for probably 2-3 years now... not that it's been necessary at all the last year or two. I picked up a couple of ladies and took them to the NCCPD headquarters over on Rt. 13. I forget how we signed up for it though. Not sure if it was through NCC or DEMA.... :shrug:

I put it out on FB that I would be willing to transport or recover those I know locally if needed.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I can tell you that Christiana Care just tells their folks to get there however you can, and don't plan on leaving if you're already there. I believe that liability is the main thing for them. They don't want to be involved in any lawsuits they didn't earn.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I can tell you that Christiana Care just tells their folks to get there however you can, and don't plan on leaving if you're already there. I believe that liability is the main thing for them. They don't want to be involved in any lawsuits they didn't earn.

Yup...Kathy goes works this weekend and is taking clothes in to stay. She will probably have to work extra because some people won't be able to make it in. Hospital doesn't want anything to do with the insurance liability. I'm sure they'd LOVE to have people bring workers in but they won't officially get involved with that.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Apparently Jeeps for Joy was asked for help by WDSD, and they asked Southern Delaware Jeep Club (Facebook club) to pass the word. Maybe they'll ask DEJA, too?

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I've been in contact with Stafford (DEJA President for anyone who didn't know) and Jeff Lehnert from SDJC fairly extensively this morning regarding this. Both JFJ and DEJA were solicited by WDSD and IHeart Media Delaware to set something like this up. We have been in contact with folks at DEMA as well as NCC Emergency Management. For the purposes of this storm I don't think that the logistics will be able to be set up. As you guys have guessed there are a lot of legality and liability questions at play here. However, the ball is rolling and some people are in talks about possibly seeing if we can get a network like this set up in the future.

• I have a Level 2 SOE driving waiver but that is only good for back and forth to work.... essential personnel they say. :shrug:

Edit: These permits are issued from the Gubernator's office to businesses and then assigned to an employee. On a side note, I have made it to work every time regardless of the snow/road conditions and have NEVER been stopped or pulled over.

Edited once, last by Kuntryboy816 ().

• I have a Level 2 SOE driving waiver but that is only good for back and forth to work.... essential personnel they say. :shrug:

Edit: These permits are issued from the Gubernator's office to businesses and then assigned to an employee. On a side note, I have made it to work every time regardless of the snow/road conditions and have NEVER been stopped or pulled over.

Same here and I was told that it's for coming to the office and that's it.

I don't think the risk is all that high for being pulled over by the police. But man I wouldn't want to fight with the insurance company without one if there was an incident.

• Not sure if my daughter is considered essential personnel for Devereux in West Chester or not. They are a 24 hr care facility for autistic children. She works 2 to 10 pm and is up there tonight and tomorrow night. She took my truck tonight and I told her to just sleep up there; don't come home tonight in the heart of the storm. But If I had to, I was thinking of driving her up or at least picking her up. But then I'd be in violation I guess. :shrug:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• As far as I know when Tugboat had this setup we were given some sort of permit when you signed up. This is why we didn't jump at this and are pushing the meals on wheels thing for Monday. I think it's an excellent idea, we just need to do it "right"

• I've got the contact for NCC, its too late for this weekend but we'll work on getting all the contact information for people to volunteer sometime soon. Background checks will need to be done (the reason we can't do it now) and it will be a thing between the volunteers and DEMA, the club can't take any liability. More to come.

• For work we had to get special paperwork to be on the road during a state of emergency. I wouldn't be out driving around without some sort of authorization.

Is it illegal to do civilian driving during state of emergency in Delaware? I'm from the desert and know nothing about this winter stuff. I have the urge to take the XJ out to play in the snow though so i'm curious if i'd get pulled over just for driving what i'd consider normal I guess

• Check out DEMA's website for State of Emergency levels... quick summary:

Lev 1- advisory to stay off roads

Lev 2- driving restrictions, emergency services personnel and essential employees to and from work

Lev 3- driving ban, emergency personnel, law enforcement, military & national guard only

• Lev 3- driving ban, emergency personnel, law enforcement, military & national guard only

Not exactly.

"...when a Level 3 Driving Ban has been activated, except for those persons designated as first responders and essential personnel, including public utilities as defined in § 102(2) of Title 26 and operators of snow removal equipment employed or contracted by a public or private entity, pursuant to this chapter and the plans set forth there under, and by executive order of the Governor."

I have a fancy little sticker on my work badge as a get-out-of-jail-free card for L3 bans since peeps seem to enjoy electricity.

• I live in Lewes, snow is not the issue here but very high winds and ice are. I would help anyone in need and may call the local FD to let them know that.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!