"Mountain" Climbing

• Obviously the mountains in the North East aren't exactly legendary, but has anyone done any hiking/climbing around here (Catskills, Appalachians, etc.).

I'm looking to get out this spring and do something not too intense, but that requires feet AND hands at some points. Maybe some camping. Looking for some experience and insights if anyone has been out.

• PA has some rocky, hilly-type mountains. We're thinking of hitting Michaux State Forest again in the spring. If you bring beer it may require hands as well. :laughing:

The DE Rock Gym is right across the road from me... can get a lot of practice there.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Haven't been to Michaux in years ('98?). That was around the time people were arguing about whether state land was off limits to vehicles ALL THE TIME or did it have to be POSTED for it to be off limits. That was also about the time Paragon was just opening up.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If you go down to Shenandoah, along Skyline drive. There are many trail heads, and some great hiking and some rock climbing areas.

http://www.goshenandoah.com/ac…/rock-climbing-rappelling

http://www.summitpost.org/clas…bing-in-shenandoah/304501

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• This seems along the lines of what I'm looking for.
    Slide Mountain in the Catskills
    4180 ft and you can camp on the mountain if you want.

A few pictures of what the climb looks like that Google was kind enough to share with me:

• I mostly do my mountaineering in the winter, but a nice trail is Precipice in Acadia National Park in Maine (closed during mating season for peregrine falcons late spring into summer). It is one of the most beautiful hikes you can imagine with great views of the water. There are rung-ladder sections and ledges that you shimmy across that are fun/hairy. I did it with my dad when I was 14. If you do head there, you should try to get a cabin and stay for the week. Acadia is breathtakingly beautiful with lots of trails, lakes, and shore line. It should be exactly what you are looking for. Also, if you are not comfortable with down-climbing the trail, there is a "regular" trail to hike down, no hands needed. Plus you get to have a nice lobster at the end of your day.

Posting pics is a pain, so here is a link to images
    http://www.bing.com/images/sea…cipice+acadia&FORM=HDRSC2

• Seneca Rocks in West Virginia seem popular for mountaineering. We had hiked to the top and out onto a ridge a few times. There always seemed to be somebody climbing up the HARD WAY using ropes and what not. Beautiful area. Not very local to here (or anywhere) though.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I mostly do my mountaineering in the winter, but a nice trail is Precipice in Acadia National Park in Maine (closed during mating season for peregrine falcons late spring into summer). It is one of the most beautiful hikes you can imagine with great views of the water. There are rung-ladder sections and ledges that you shimmy across that are fun/hairy. I did it with my dad when I was 14. If you do head there, you should try to get a cabin and stay for the week. Acadia is breathtakingly beautiful with lots of trails, lakes, and shore line. It should be exactly what you are looking for. Also, if you are not comfortable with down-climbing the trail, there is a "regular" trail to hike down, no hands needed. Plus you get to have a nice lobster at the end of your day.

Posting pics is a pain, so here is a link to images
    http://www.bing.com/images/sea…cipice+acadia&FORM=HDRSC2

Ok THAT seems to be a lot like what I'm looking for. Maybe I will look into that.

• Acadia is beautiful. Carriage trails you can bike on if you want to take a break from hiking. Pristine ponds to kayak in also. First time my GF brought me there I said to her "this looks like the stuff you see in National Geographic". Granite cliffs along the coast I have been known to " act like a billy goat " on.

• Acadia is beautiful. Carriage trails you can bike on if you want to take a break from hiking. Pristine ponds to kayak in also. First time my GF brought me there I said to her "this looks like the stuff you see in National Geographic". Granite cliffs along the coast I have been known to " act like a billy goat " on.

it really is one of the prettiest places I have ever been

• If you want to stay really local go to Alapocas State Park in Wilmington. They have a natural climbing wall near the river with set anchors for belaying and a mulch bed surface. I went there for the first time this past summer and was really impressed. I believe you need to get a dumb paper climbing permit before climbing through the states site.

Or go up to Keene, NY. It's about 6 hour drive but inexpensive with a ton of hiking and climbing with guides.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!