Seat Belts

• [size=2]Not quite sure if this belongs here or in Swap Meet, but here goes.... It appears that I need to either rebuild the front seat belts' retractor mechanisms on my 1998 TJ or just purchase the entire seat belt assemblies. I found this on Q-tec, which will, of course, do the job. http://www.quadratec.com/products/14247_08XX_PG.htm
    [/size][size=2]
    Can anyone point me to a place were I can spend LESS money than that for new OEM-type seat belts? (No, I'm not using this as an opportunity to "upgrade" to something better. We all know you don't have to have a five-point seat belt to drive through a four-foot deep mud hole, and that seems to be the riskiest thing I'm prone to do.) Thanks![/size]

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• Unless you find some nice ones from a part out I would buy new and not try rebuilding. If something ever happened I wouldn't want the last thing going through my head to be did I do a good job rebuilding that belt holding my child in.

X2.

And that seems to be a fair price.

Morris4x4 has them for a few dollars less.

• I replaced the whole seat belt assemblies in the CJ, both because of the retractors acting up but also I figured the belt itself could use replacement after years of UV/weather exposure.

• If they are just not retracting you can try cleaning the belt. It gets stiff with all the crud over the years and doesn't want to wind up. You can try to do it in place, but it can be a PITA. If you are going to take it off to wash it outside of the jeep, you might as well increase the tension on the mechanism too. You can also check for crud in the mechanism as well (you should not try to take it apart because it is a mess to try to get back together)
    There are vids on youtube like this one.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Or you could get it repaired:
    http://www.safetyrestore.com/s…e/9-seat-belt-repair.html

• https://www.seatbeltplanet.com…ries/jeep-belts/wrangler/

Just bought some lap belts for the jump seats in the pete from these guys. Good price and quick ship. The jeep ones r not that cheap but safety really shouldnt be.

• I bought new belts (front/rear) the year before last and I went through the same questions. I searched the webz and basically found that pretty much all of belts sold are only made by only a few manufacturers out there. The prices across the board were pretty much all the same. I ordered them through Quadratec and they took about a week as they are shipped directly from the manufacturer in FL.

I never considered the option of rebuilding the belts or finding used ones for a couple reasons... 1. They were 20+ years old 2. I found a few spots where the webbing was beginning to fray 3. I had been in an accident and the recommendmendation is that belts be replaced but the insurance co never did 4. Needed to be absolutely sure that the kids were safe while riding in the Jeep

With a safety item as important as seatbelts are, I just chose to go with new ones. I figured my family's and I's live's are worth at least $200. :up:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm more inclined to just buy new than try to repair. I was just hoping there was some hidden vendor out there that could do a lot better than Q-tec. What's interesting to me is for that price you don't even get the entire package. The latch portion portion is a separate purchase. Since I have come to dislike my latch (it usually sticks when I hit the release button), I kinda wish I could go with another style -- like the aircraft-inspired rotary release latch or something like that....but then we're getting into the more sophisticated 4-point and 5-point seat belts. Jim

• Have you tried lubing the latch portion?

I would think a lot of crud collects in there.

Once, back in the summer, I removed the DS latch and really hit it with brake cleaner, but I seem to recall not using a lubricant on purpose...didn't want it leaking out onto clothing or the seat. I had always heard that brake cleaner has multiple uses, so I chose that. Please let me know if there's a better solution. I know I have to be mindful of the electrical component of that latch.

• Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm more inclined to just buy new than try to repair. I was just hoping there was some hidden vendor out there that could do a lot better than Q-tec. What's interesting to me is for that price you don't even get the entire package. The latch portion portion is a separate purchase. Since I have come to dislike my latch (it usually sticks when I hit the release button), I kinda wish I could go with another style -- like the aircraft-inspired rotary release latch or something like that....but then we're getting into the more sophisticated 4-point and 5-point seat belts. Jim

?????????? I'd call and check on that. My set came with the retractable side and the buckle side as well. The description makes it sound as if the buckle side is sold separately but I think they're referring to different styles of buckles or the pattern on the release button itself. There is a number somewhere for Seatbelt Solutions that I found when I got the wrong sized buckles (my mistake during order). I don't know why they'd sell the buckle side separately even if it's a TJ instead of a YJ.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• And then there's this....

http://www.quadratec.com/products/24248_3100.htm

Corbeau offers the complete seat belt set, and they do it for less money! (Jeremy, could it be that this is the unit you bought?) But...... you apparently have to jury rig the electronic sensor. I spoke with a Q-tec rep to confirm this. Has anyone gone this route? How'd you handle the electronics/wiring?

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• The Corbeau is a generic belt, but should work out. On my XJ, I unplugged the sensor at one point (forget why, probably when pulling the soaked carpet) and never plugged it back in. If it's unplugged, it doesn't activate the light or annoying chime. Guys that run both 3-pt and harness belts will usually unplug the 3-pt so it doesn't complain when they're using the harness offroad.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!