Can't remove sway bar passenger side axle stud

• Hey guys I was hoping for some guidance with this. I know you've probably heard/dealt with it a thousand times... I've done my research on it though I promise.

I started replacing my sway bar bushings and installing quick disconnects this past weekend. Took about a week of PB blasting to get the bolts to everything loose but worked like a charm.

Got the bushings done.

I was able to get the old rusted links disconnected with only minor issues.

Now I was onto the axle studs and it's a whole different story since they're pressed in on my 99 xj.

I rented a 2 jaw reversible gear puller from my nearest auto parts store which made quick and easy work of the driver side axle stud.

The problem i've run into is that I don't have room to use the gear puller (or even a sledge hammer) to get the other side taken out. It's the last thing I need to do but i'm stuck.

I'm not too familiar with suspension parts but I think it's a dual steering stabilizer that's in the way of the bolt. It was installed by the P.O. and I don't want to have to take apart my suspension (nor do I even have the tools) just to get the sway bar stud out.

I've attached pictures of my setup and wanted to see if anyone had advice on how to get the bolt out? Finances are very limited and so are tools. I don't have air tools either.

• This is the bolt you are talking about? Have you tried starting off by removing the swaybar link? Bang the crap out of it with a BFH. That would be a good start to get the link out of your way.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Actually, looking at these pictures - maybe I' not seeing something right - but I'd be far more concerned about what appears to be a crack (or broken and then poorly repaired with a really crappy weld) in the bracket below the sway bar mount.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• You can back out that bolt on the end of the steering stabilizer to get at that bolt if you need to. No harm in doing so and you can put it back together when you're done.

I have a few sacrificial socket extensions that I use if it's a tight spot like that. It's nice b/c the wrench end will usually sit over the bolt shank to give you some stabilization when you're beating the piss out of it and you rarely have to worry about it slipping off and busting your knuckles. Get a set of cheap extensions from Harbor Freight and then mark them somehow (I used camo duct tape.. helps with holding while hammering) around the center of the extension. That way they don't get mixed with the useable extensions and I don't get pissed when the socket won't go on the end or the extension on the wrench.

• You can back out that bolt on the end of the steering stabilizer to get at that bolt if you need to. No harm in doing so and you can put it back together when you're done.

I have a few sacrificial socket extensions that I use if it's a tight spot like that. It's nice b/c the wrench end will usually sit over the bolt shank to give you some stabilization when you're beating the piss out of it and you rarely have to worry about it slipping off and busting your knuckles. Get a set of cheap extensions from Harbor Freight and then mark them somehow (I used camo duct tape.. helps with holding while hammering) around the center of the extension. That way they don't get mixed with the useable extensions and I don't get pissed when the socket won't go on the end or the extension on the wrench.

I don't have to jack it up off the ground before removing that stabilizer bolt? And I'm worried if I use an extension to just beat the piss out of it I might bend the bracket it's pressed into. I don't have a propane torch to heat it up either.

• No need to jack up the Jeep... I'm pretty sure that the steering stabilizer isn't part of the structural integrity of the suspension. I would, however, run a zip tie around it from one eye to the other so that it keeps it at the length it is... that way, you don't have to try and compress it to get the bolt back through.

I'd try to unseat the sway bar bolt first with some firm taps of the hammer before I cut it off. To me, logic says that the design allows for removal of the bolt to replace a wear/tear item such as the bushing. I also know that design engineers don't always think logically, so.......

Edit: When Keith said welded, I believe he was referring to rusted together over the years which tends to happen more often than not.

• Hold up, hold up, hold up...

Looking at the pics again, can you take the end link off of that bolt? It should slide off unless the bushing rust welded to the bolt like Keith said. Why are you trying to remove the bolt from the bracket? You shouldn't even need to mess with it to replace the end link bushings.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• U need heat. Borrow a torch. Also for the cost of an extension u can actually by a long punch and use the correct tool. No need to do anything to remove and reinstall the ss. Its just a shock. If u bend the bracket just smack it back straight.

• [size=2]Altierior: Is that the trac bar bracket? Should I look into replacing it?<br><br>Kuntryboy: I may just take the stabilizer off then since I don't have to jack it up. Like I said I don't have many tools still.<br><br>Keith: No tools unfortunately.[/size]
    [size=2]<br>[/size]
    [size=2]<br>[/size]
    [size=2]I can't get the link off the bolt unless I go ahead and remove the stabilizer which by the sound of it i'll just do tomorrow if the weather permits.[/size]

• Hold up, hold up, hold up...

Looking at the pics again, can you take the end link off of that bolt? It should slide off unless the bushing rust welded to the bolt like Keith said.

Isn't that what I said? ::)

~ JD

• Why are you trying to remove the bolt from the bracket? You shouldn't even need to mess with it to replace the end link bushings.

I think he is trying to install discos. So the bolt needs to come out.

~ JD

• [size=1em]Altierior: Is that the trac bar bracket? Should I look into replacing it? [/size]

In the pictures, it appears that it might be a compromised track bar bracket. I'd be very, very concerned about that if it is. You should have someone look at it. If it is the track bar bracket, replacing or repairing it is not a do-it-yourself job for you.

~ JD

• In the pictures, it appears that it might be a compromised track bar bracket. I'd be very, very concerned about that if it is. You should have someone look at it. If it is the track bar bracket, replacing or repairing it is not a do-it-yourself job for you.

I looks as if the hole was egged out and someone welded a patch over it to correct the tolerance.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!