max tire size for '13 JKU rims

• Cheers folks!

First time ive posted in almost a year.

Im looking at needing new tires in the next year so im researching now.

Im going to stick with my re treads from tread wright ( https://treadwright.com/collections/at-tires ) The set I have now was an experiment and ive LOVED them. cant beat 5 tires for $750!

My question is I have 285/70/17 (32in x 11.5 x 17) on now...how much larger can I go with stock rims? ive got 3in lift on and don't really intend to go higher for now..but id like a bit more tire height if I can.

Im awful with tire size calculations and fitment so any help would be appreciated!

2013 Jeep Wrangler 4 Door (JKU)*SOLD*
    2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
    DE tag : OIF 118
    Honk if you see me!

• Width is the real issue. Any wider than the 285 you have now and you risk rubbing the sidewall and slicing the tire. With wheel spacers you can go with a 315 width (315/70/17 is commonly available, usually a little under 35" tall and 12.5" wide) tire, but you may as well just buy new wheels and get new styling. However, the only 315/70/17 tire available from TreadWright is their MTR copy "Guard Dog".

Fwiw, for a touch more height but keeping the same wheels, you could do 255/80/17 tires which equate to 33.3" 10". I had BFG KM2 in that size on my JK, just took them off. Or, the new-ish BFG AT KO2 is available in 34x10.5x17, I think that's the tallest tire available without going to a 12.5" wide tire.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Welcome back Matt! My brother runs 33x12.5 MTZs on his JKU. He's running a spacer on them as well. I'll dig up a pic for reference here in a min.

Edit- The pic below is his JKU and my YJ. We both run 33x12.5's and his wheels are stock 17's IIRC.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Edited once, last by Kuntryboy816 ().

• https://treadwright.com/collec…3117d?variant=16353746246

So the 315/70/17's are the same price as the 35 x 12.5

What spacer would i need for the 35's?

Id like them over the 315's just because theyre slightly larger. I have a 3in lift on so clearance shouldn't be an issue (i assume) Im sad to admit i cant seem to wrap my head around the whole tire sizing/spacing idea. :bang:

2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
    Honk if you see me!

• I'm running 315/70/17s with a 2.5" lift, plenty of room. Going back to math... factory wheel: 7.5" wide. factory tires: 10" wide. new tires... 11.4" wide (gotta love tires... the math says it should be 12.4", but TreadWright says their tire is 11.4"). Tire overhang (my term) difference, 0.7" each side. The overhang difference is what matters for picking a wheel spacer. Based off the math, you need a 0.7" spacer to have the same clearance that you had with original tires. But, the minimum size is usually 1.5" because of the wheel stud length, so get those. :)

Btw: the Warden tire from them in 315 is the exact same as the 35" tire. Check the specs, same height, same width, same weight rating. So, don't worry about that.

TLDR: get 1.5" wheel spacers. You might be ok without them for street use, but if you air down, you'll have a high risk of slicing the back tires.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Whatevah, your the man! you speak my language.

my thanks.

Ill likely be ordering the tires tonight or tomorrow and looking into spacers shortly there after. Hopefully ill have it all said and done by the club ride next month

2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
    Honk if you see me!

• Sweet! If they don't come with loctite (most kits do), get some and use it on the factory studs, because you can't check the torque without removing the wheels.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Will do!

Now the same dilemma i ran into last time i bought tread wright...to re-tread or not to re-tread..

Ive found probably the only tire i can consider...financially that is. Dick cepek tires

theyre a bit more so im curious what ya'lls thoughts were on them

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/Ti…ountry&partnum=17R7TCOWL#

Ive never had a problem with my re treads...but there are always those bad reviews lurking out in the world

2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
    Honk if you see me!

• First off, it was good running into you Wednesday night and finally getting to meet ya in person! I passed on the info about that hood decal to my brother and he said tell ya thank you!

I'm sure you've been looking pretty much everywhere for tires on a limited budget and I've been doing the same. Just figured that I'd pass this on to you in case you hadn't already seen it. Pep Boys is running an in store special of 10% of your purchase of 2+ tires. Mickey Thompson has a mail in rebate of $100 off a set of four but it is only good through tomorrow. I am wanting to order a set of the MTZ P3's this weekend. With the 10% off and $100 mail-in rebate that puts the cost of the tires @ $204.49/ea. The only thing that's got me undecided is that the Maaxis Bighorn MT is ~$150 cheaper ($680/4) for a set of 4 and that's w/o a rebate!

https://www.pepboys.com/tires/sbs/315/70/17/00374
    They have a set of Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 in your size for $1007.96 - $100 rebate = $907.96 = $226.99/ea
    If you stick to the 33" tire size, your costs will decrease somewhat...

I'll still never understand why a larger rim that equals less tire material is more expensive than a smaller rim that requires more tire material. :shrug:

• Hey man! I hope he finds one he likes

After doing a bit more research last night into tread wrights new process of beed to beed molding im going to order a set of their 315x70x17's.

https://treadwright.com/collec…er/products/warden-w3117d

I definitely want to go a little bigger for some added height. , plus i need to fill out the 3in lift ive had for ever haha

Though im looking at adding another 1in - 1.5in with spacers at some point.

2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
    Honk if you see me!

• I thought about 35's this time around, which would be fine for just back and forth to work and mall crawling but I wouldn't trust wheeling with 35's and my stock Dana 35 at all.

......not that I do a lot of wheeling in the first place! :down:

• Well hopefully i dont blow my rear apart with light weight off roading

You've got a D44 rear axle and a D30 in the front. Both are fine, but the front could use a few upgrades for harder wheeling (axle sleeves, C gussets and stronger shafts), but they hold up a lot better than TJ axles did. Of course, finesse is always your friend with small axles and big tires. Less skinny pedal, more brains. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

• Thanks

Some times i astound my self with how little I really know about my own vehicle :bang:

2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
    Honk if you see me!

• Ha, yeah! I'm with ya on that... seems like I learn something new every day with my Jeep. Your JK is better equipped to run a bigger tire than mine is at the moment. With all the mods that people have done over the years to their Jeeps, I'm sure the Jeep engineers have planned for the newer model to handle those mods more effectively than earlier models like my YJ.

• An update,

The new tires fit perfectly with my 1.25 in spacers and are amazing.

Ill get pictures once the sun stays out

2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
    Honk if you see me!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!