TJ Gas Tank Float

• This is probably a topic that's already been addressed on this forum at some point, but I'm now convinced that there is an issue with the gas tank or dashboard gauge on my 1998 TJ. Recently, I filled the tank and then noticed that the needle only went slightly north of the 3/4 line on the gauge. This morning I filled it up again -- being very careful to make sure the tank was truly filled. Again, the dashboard needle only rose to just past the 3/4 line. This problem arose rather quickly.

Is this a known issue among older TJ Jeeps? Does the float somehow just get hung up on something inside the tank? Is there a leprechaun inside my tank?! Thanks.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Mines a little off, but I live with it.

[youtube]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/youtube]

• Thanks Keith. I viewed the video you posted. That guy's got wrenching skill, but he's no Spielberg with the camera. :laughing: I'll also live with the situation and just see if it gets worse.

• Thanks Keith. I viewed the video you posted. That guy's got wrenching skill, but he's no Spielberg with the camera. :laughing: I'll also live with the situation and just see if it gets worse.

Yeah, I kinda "skimmed" it. Lol.

I look at mine as extra reserve. :)

• The fuel gauge really only measures the resistance of the circuit from the gauge, through the sender, to ground. If there is a connection anywhere along the way that has corrosion, the resistance will be changed. It will show up as a different reading at the gauge.

• The fuel gauge really only measures the resistance of the circuit from the gauge, through the sender, to ground. If there is a connection anywhere along the way that has corrosion, the resistance will be changed. It will show up as a different reading at the gauge.

Thanks for that explanation!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!