Will it be enough

• As long as the center stub bottoms out on the shaft it doesn't effect preload. If the manufacturer has the back bearing seat against the axle you use the axle but to set bearing preload. You usually only see the second setup in fwd or European applications.

• Jesus. Everyone chill.

Technically the nut only has to be tighter than the preload required for the bearings.

As others have said, the flange extends through the unit bearing and bottoms on the face of the stub shaft. The length of the flange from the shoulder where it meets the outer bearing to the inside edge that bottoms on the stub is what 'sets' the preload (see Luke's diagram for reference). As long as the nut is tighter than the preload setting you're 'technically' ok....but the nut may come loose.

So....everyone's right. The preload is "set from the factory" in that the length of the flange is non-adjustable and that controls how much you 'squeeze' the bearings aka preload them. BUT, the stub (or bolt/washers as I've used in a pinch) provides that tension and must be present to maintain it. Since they're tapered bearings the force is outward and they WILL separate if you attempt to drive or tow them....and the now separate tire may cross multiple lanes of traffic and end up in a wawa parking lot. :innocent: :doh:

--Ian

• Ian - Thank you for taking a few minutes to actually explain it.

While I have had my unit bearings unbolted from the knuckles, my spindle nuts have never been off so I really didn't know how it all fit together.

Aaron - You come off like an arrogant know-it-all *ASSHOLE* that has no tolerance for anyone that doesn't have the knowledge you have or has the audacity to question it.

• this isent pirate 4x4 girls. were all friends here Aaron while being a little abrasive is a highly skilled mechanic so I still value his experience and comments. :up:

• Fixed it for u.

Aaron - You come off like an arrogant know-it-all that has no tolerance for *ASSHOLES* like u that dont have the knowledge you have or have the audacity to question it.

There has never been a time that i havent chimed in when others had questions that they could not answer. I give the op's the facts as my experience has taught me. I make corrections when others are wrong and admit it when im wrong. What i dont do is post condisending comments and dirty up threads with a thinly vailed attempts to embaress people.

Sorry Stafford, I was gonna leave this alone but since after 2 days the mods dont want to delete this pricks non tech rants i felt the need to reply. I know its not pirate and i understand the bod doesnt like this kind of conflict but it u r not gonna clean it up im gonna respond.

• That smiley needs to be added to our selection.. actually we could do with an update!

So Jerry just reminded me that we do in fact have this smiley but it is a double secret probation smiley so it's not listed.

Use : pirate : without the spaces and it will look like this :pirate:.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!