Interesting shackle load limit video

• We tend to do a lot of lateral pulls when doing Jeep recoveries so I thought this was some interesting information...especially regarding using shackles that only use a cotter pin to retain the main pin.

[youtube]

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/youtube]

• Hmmm... that's pretty interesting. So gauging off of that video and how a good portion of recoveries tend to be lateral pulls, would it be better to have the shackle mount be vertical instead of horizontal? That way the pin would allow the shackle to rotate w/o any reduction to the WLL say if the vehicle you're recovering is at a 60* angle from the front of passenger side.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Wow I never thought about that. I sent this to my son. He's taking Strength and Materials now (although he covered the math part of this last year.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Hmmm... that's pretty interesting. So gauging off of that video and how a good portion of recoveries tend to be lateral pulls, would it be better to have the shackle mount be vertical instead of horizontal? That way the pin would allow the shackle to rotate w/o any reduction to the WLL say if the vehicle you're recovering is at a 60* angle from the front of passenger side.

Just integrate additional d-ring mounts on the bumper ends. Gives you front and lateral recovery points.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Just integrate additional d-ring mounts on the bumper ends. Gives you front and lateral recovery points.

Pulling sideways should be avoided in my opinion.

I think you run a real risk of tweaking the frame or something else.

If possible, I'd use a snatch block attached to a tree or another vehicle to try to get the straightest angle at both the stuck load as well as the winch.

We should all know also that winch pulling power decreases as the line angle is moved away from straight on.

• Good point! Even if the work load to the shackle isnt changed by the angle, then the load gets transferred to the mount/frame. Like even if I were to attach a strap to my hitch with the shackle like this, the load on the shackle is fine but the lateral force is directed into the hitch mount and frame.

• Pulling sideways should be avoided in my opinion.

Most recoveries with people who get stuck in mud or whatever tend to be able to pull straight but it seems like the rock crawling group I tend to ride with always get's themselves in a crazy situation where a lateral pull is the only thing that will get the vehicle in a recoverable position so a lot times there really is no avoiding it. :shrug:

(I'm looking at you especially 2000sahara Example here. :laughing: )

• Most recoveries with people who get stuck in mud or whatever tend to be able to pull straight but it seems like the rock crawling group I tend to ride with always get's themselves in a crazy situation where a lateral pull is the only thing that will get the vehicle in a recoverable position so a lot times there really is no avoiding it. :shrug:

Wayne too... :)

[youtube]

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/youtube]

• Most recoveries with people who get stuck in mud or whatever tend to be able to pull straight but it seems like the rock crawling group I tend to ride with always get's themselves in a crazy situation where a lateral pull is the only thing that will get the vehicle in a recoverable position so a lot times there really is no avoiding it. :shrug:

Yeah we could almost call that one an overhead lift.

• Yeah we could almost call that one an overhead lift.

I'm with Luke on this... We pulled my rig straight up a few feet and I used my stellar tree driving skills to get me out of there.... :mrgreen:
    On that note, this prob never gets thought of to much.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

• Does anyone use cotter-pin type shackles? :o

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• ... the rock crawling group I tend to ride with always get's themselves in a crazy situation where a lateral pull is the only thing that will get the vehicle in a recoverable position so a lot times there really is no avoiding it. :shrug:

^ this

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• All this said, chances are your d-rings won't be your weakest link even in a lateral pull. I think mine are rated for 10,000lbs, and with normal over engineering probably 15k+. Even laterally , 5-7k pull is more likely to tweak a frame or bust a shackel Mount first.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I wanted to see some shackles fail at different loads. The video was like watching mythbusters but turning it off before the big explosion

I also would like to see that. Instead, we got the mythbusters shackle-fail anticlimax.

~ JD

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!