Press Fits - Axle Tech Questions

• I'm re-building my CJ Dana 30 front axle. One of the upper ball joints drops in the knuckle about halfway before it starts to press fit tightly. Is this a problem and is there any fix without replacing the knuckle?

Also, one of the inner wheel bearing cones fits loosely in the hub bore with slight side play. The old cone cracked through and the bearing race failed. Is there any fix without replacing the hub?

• The seat that the bearing race sits on cracked or just the bearing race? If it's the actual hub that cracked then replace it. The bearing race can be tapped out for replacement.

I seem to remember the ball joints having to be tapped in, not sure whether it was half way down or not. Make sure the surfaces sliding together are good and you might put a thin coating of 3&1 oil on them to help them slide together.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• The race cracked, not the hub, but the new race fits a bit loose in the hub bore, so I'm afraid it will fail again.

The ball joints are supposed to be a tight press fit, this one goes in all the way but isn't as tight as it should be.

• On the ball joint, I would clean and check carefully for cracks, but if it takes a press to seat it I would probably call it good.
    The bearing race should be tight in the bore and require driving in with a race driver and hammer. If it has play in there, then the bearing probably seized and spun at some point, damaging the bore. Sometimes a bore can be tightened up by carefully using a center punch on the inside of the bore. When you center punch it makes a depression but it also raises the area around the depression. This raised area tightens up the bore. If you make about three rows of dimples about a quarter inch apart all the way around the area where the race goes it will probably tighten up. Don't hit it so hard that there is metal hanging out of the dimples, or it will break off when you drive the race in and prevent it from seating at the bottom.
    Loctite also makes several types of bearing mount products to help with applications like this.

• Loctite also makes several types of bearing mount products to help with applications like this.

I use it all the time at work, tends to be green.

But I typically use it on sealed ball bearing assemblys.

And it's usually at least a snug fit before the loctite.

If the race can be easily set into the bore and spun with a finger I'd think it's wallowed out to the point of replacement.

• For what it's worth, the bearing inner race really has nothing at all to keep it from spinning. The nice, smooth, newly greased bearings are supposed to roll on the races and not really exert much spinning force on the race.
    Harley guys routinely "peen" bores and such to be able to use old and irreplaceable parts., it's a pretty accepted practice.

• For what it's worth, the bearing inner race really has nothing at all to keep it from spinning. The nice, smooth, newly greased bearings are supposed to roll on the races and not really exert much spinning force on the race.
    Harley guys routinely "peen" bores and such to be able to use old and irreplaceable parts., it's a pretty accepted practice.

I whole heartedly agree.

I'd feel way better making it a tighter fit mechanically than counting on what is basically a super glue type bond.

• Thanks, fellas. The hub is available, so I went ahead and ordered a new one. The knuckle isn't -- it's the '77-'79 disc brake one with the 6-bolt caliper mount -- so I'll keep an eye out for one on ebay just in case.

• The knuckle isn't -- it's the '77-'79 disc brake one with the 6-bolt caliper mount -- so I'll keep an eye out for one on ebay just in case.

Can the 2 bolt knuckle be used if you unbolt the 2 bolt caliper bracket? Have you made sure the you couldn't get the ball joint to press in after a little sanding and light lube? If I remember right I was able to tap them in with a good hammer and large socket.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• I thought about using the two-bolt knuckle with the six-bolt caliper mount. It might work. The two-bolt mount is held on to the knuckle with big (very rusty) E-bolts (a star-shaped bolt head like a male Torx) and the studs would have to be pressed out and swapped for longer ones. As it is, the ball joint is in all the way, but it isn't as tight as I would like.

• Another option is to get some Chevy Dana 44 flat top knuckles and go for a high steer set up. As I recall they will work on a Dana 30.
    click for image]click for image

Parts Mike has a whole package set up.

http://www.partsmike.com/index…rch%5Bsort_by%5D=name_asc

I'm running them on my Dana 44. It really picks the tie rod up and out of the way while decreasing the angle of the drag link.
    [img width=1200 height=1060]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=24187[/img]

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• I don't think that was it. I didn't use the loose knuckle. I got the two-bolt caliper mount off the other knuckle, cut off the ears that held the caliper mount so it would clear the six-bolt caliper, and used that instead. I think it was just the beating the upper ball joint took from the broken axle shaft. Tonka said the same thing happened to him at Big Dogs. So if you break an axle shaft pull it out before you try to drive it in 4wd. On the other hand, the axle shafts are a lot easier to get out once the knuckle falls off.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!