Axle tube seals

• I'm upgrading to Yucon TJ type front axles and in addition to replacing the outer axle seal on the passenger side, having removed the disconnect, I was wondering if the addition of the outer billet aluminum axle tube seals would be recommended. I noticed that the axle is not machined smooth at the location of outer seal which was supplied with the upgrade stuff.

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• I'm upgrading to Yucon TJ type front axles and in addition to replacing the outer axle seal on the passenger side, having removed the disconnect, I was wondering if the addition of the outer billet aluminum axle tube seals would be recommended. I noticed that the axle is not machined smooth at the location of outer seal which was supplied with the upgrade stuff.

I have used them in the past.

There are two schools of thought on these. The concept is that they will seal up the axle tube, thereby preventing water or mud or whatever from infiltrating the diff. The dissent is that water will invariably penetrate, and the seals then serve to retain the water inside the axle housing.

I now subscribe to the reasoning against it, and I do not run them now.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I'd suggest the tube seals if you want to do mud, water or sand. I don't do the Pine Barrens anymore, so I haven't put them in my JK. I had them in my XJ, though, mainly to protect the inner seals. I had the Alloy USA seals, really doubt you could get anything past those. RTV seal at the housing and a rubber/grease seal at the axle.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

If it's rough it will wipe those o-rings out in a few miles.

Even smooth they tend to not last long.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!