Help several problems with 2000 XJ

• Hello I hope someone can help or at least steer me on the right track. I am the owner of a 2000 sport xj. The airbag light has been on since I bought it. I have a very high pitch whistle from under the hood. Does this when I have my foot on the gas and stops when I let go and the other way as well when my foot is not on the gas and stops when I do give gas. Under heavy acceleration I get a vibration from underneath and when it wants to shift it doesn't instead the rpm bounce until I back off. No other times do I have any problem with the transmission. And last the other night when turning off the jeep and leaving the key In acc "no bus" showed on the odometer. Spoke to a fellow jeeper told me it was the computer and to leave the battery disconnected for 24 hours. I tried that and that did not solve any of the issues but I did notice it took 10-15 mins for the vibrations and the whistle to appear again when normally it takes several mins. Please any ideas or input would be helpful.

• Airbag... probably more of the clock spring (electrical connection) in the steering wheel rather than a bad airbag. Never had to fix it, can't help you there.

Whistle sound... Could be part of the vacuum system, a bunch of small hoses around the engine compartment and a small canister behind the passenger corner of the bumper. Try getting some smoke around the engine compartment and see how it travels. Might see it get sucked into a crack somewhere.

Vibration could be almost anything. Is it lifted? Could be bad driveshaft angle or worn out ujoints. Could also be axle wrap if your rear springs are shot, causing the axle to twist and increase the ujoint angle past the working range.

No shift could be a bad throttle position sensor (TPS). When that fails, most brands will lock in "wide open" position, so the computer thinks you're at full-throttle and won't shift until the rpms hit the redline, for maximum power. Unplug that sensor and see what happens, it's a black sensor pointing at the drivers seat. https://w05.dealerconnect.chry…ceInfo/en_US/80524e3c.gif If that doesn't work, it might be something in the transmission, maybe try shifting to "3" instead of "D" to see if that helps? If you're in "1-2", it'll do the same rev to full throttle before shifting out of first into second gear, but it should still shift eventually. It's certainly worth replacing the TPS along with the idle air control motor on an older Jeep if they haven't been replaced in a while, also take off the intake hose and see how dirty the valve and idle inlet are. If it's covered in gunk, it can affect the idle and low-throttle performance.

"No Bus" happens when you have the key in "on" too long without actually starting it. I don't know if that'll happen in "ACC" or not, but I don't think it should. That just means that the dash is expecting data from the computer and isn't getting it. It's only a problem if the engine is running, and usually means that the connectors are dirty, doesn't affect driving, just the dash.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• The whistle is definitely vacuum related. From what you described, it whistles when vacuum is high. I'm not sure about your transmission, but many automatics use a vacuum modulator as part of the shifting controls. A leaking vacuum line would change the signal that the transmission receives and mess up the shifting. I would find and fix the vacuum leak first, then reevaluate the other problems. The vibration might be caused by the transmission not shifting properly.

• Does your horn work? I did not see mention of that.

If your horn does not work, the always-on airbag light is conclusively diagnosed as a bad clockspring. The clockspring is a connection for anything electrical on your steering wheel (airbag, horn, cruise control). If your clockspring is bad, the horn will not work because it is essentially disconnected, and the airbag light is on because your airbag is disconnected from the computer.

If your horn works, I have no clue. :doh:

Hope this helps.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I want to thank everybody for their input. Tonight after work i will go through every suggestion and check. Hopefully I can narrow it down and maybe post an update tomorrow. Hopefully there are some patient members that can continue to help me track my problems down. I did do some research online and found out that just disconnecting might not have fully reset the computer. I have found several forums that state to disconnect both positive and negative ground one to the other for 30 seconds place back on the battery and then turn the key to acc. Last turn the lights on and then off and the jeep off. Does anyone know if and how this would be any different then letting it just sit disconnected for 24 hours. As far as the whistle i will check for leaks. The jeep is not lifted but i know that my leaf springs are almost if not completely shot. Will check to see if the vibrations from underneath are caused by that issue. Will clean the intake hose and throttle body and replace the TPS. WILLYN sounds like the vacuum leak might be the cause for the two problems i will get back to you and let you know. I dont think the airbag is caused by a bad clock spring due to the fact that the cruise control and horn on the same module and they are both functioning just right. ASTAPE due to it being a full electronic is it possible having to due with a vacuum leak causing the shift problems as WILLYN brought up. I want to really thank everyone again and please keep working with me.

• Your trans is all electronic there are no vacuum hose going to it. There for a vacuum leak can not directly effect the trans shifting.

• Didn't have time to check everything and I bet I forgot to mention the check engine light on too. But since the battary was disconnected over night I have not had a shifting issue yet. I do however get vibrations underneath still when heavy on gas I bet it has to do with the leaf springs being shot. Went to quadtetrac and noticed they have reg, mid, and heavy duty leaf springs avaible what is the difference in ride if any?

• Sounds like a good time for a code reader. I guess there is no vacuum modulator, but I would still fix the vacuum leak first and go from there. The electronic controls may use input from a MAP sensor or other sensors that are vacuum affected. Also, a vacuum leak can cause misfiring which would have an effect on throttle position vs. power available, and the computer is set for shifting a perfectly healthy engine, not one with a misfire. I think there may be a TV cable on that transmission also. If so, check that it is adjusted properly.
    That's what I like about my Turbo 400, one vacuum line and you're good to go!

• I do however get vibrations underneath still when heavy on gas I bet it has to do with the leaf springs being shot.

Saggy rear ends are very common with XJs. I think it highly unlikely that saggy leafs would be the direct cause of vibes.

More information is needed for anyone on a forum to help with a diagnosis without seeing the vehicle.

Why do you suspect the leaf springs? Do the vibrations seem to be emanating from the rear of the Jeep?

Does the steering wheel shimmy? Or is the body vibrating?

If the vibrations are, in fact, occurring only under heavy acceleration, then I would suspect it is a driveline issue and not suspension.

It is altogether possible that some axle wrap might be occurring because of the old, tired leafs. Over time, axle wrap can kill driveshaft u-joints, transfer case output shaft bearings, or differential pinion bearings, all of which could cause vibrations.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I vibe under acceleration is usually a driveshaft joint or bad driveshaft angle.

Yes ther is a tv cable on an aw4 so u may have to youtube how to adjust it.

• I agree with John on the vibration, hard to tell at this point. I usually try to fix the obvious first, then hopefully build up good vehicle karma to be able to figure out the harder part. Replace anything with excessive play and see how it goes! Saggy springs shouldn't cause a vibration, but could allow a smaller vibration to seem bigger. The vibration might have caused the saggy springs in the first place.

• The vibration might have caused the saggy springs in the first place.

It being an XJ caused the saggy springs in the first place.

~ JD

• Alright. Managed to find and fix the vacuum leak. Did not have time to drive it afterwards could that be way the engine light was n? The more I hear about the leaf springs the more I think that's not causing it bit do need to be replaced. The vibration feels like it is coming from the center underneath. Leading me to think it might be the drive shaft u joints. Now would a bad u joint or both cause any transmission problems if so i will replace both and see if that is the cause for both. The airbag light from what have researched could the clock spring even if the horn and cruise work, ordered that an hour ago. So please someone tell me a bad u joint or both can cause transmission or seem to be a transmission issues. Because when it starts to act up shifting you can hear and tell its not when it is supposed to even be shifting. Also it seems like it isn't the transmission at all. If bad u joint can cause that somehow the problems have got to be that

• A bad ujoint shouldn't affect the transmission shifting. With the parking brake on (test it!) and parked on level ground, put the Jeep in neutral (have somebody else step on the brake if you can) and try to shake the driveshafts. There shouldn't be any play in the shafts and certainly shouldn't be able to hear anything rattle or "thunk". Those are signs of a badly worn out ujoint or slip joint (the splined section of the shaft), but you can tell by watching the shaft where the problem is coming from. There are times when you'll have vibrations from a shaft with no play. That's usually from the driveshaft angles being off from a lift kit or axle twisted from destroyed springs, if your springs still look "ok", then that won't be the problem.

A bad enough vacuum leak could set off a check engine light, but not on its own... it'd be a chain reaction from something else not working correctly. Most parts stores like Advance Auto can scan the codes for you for free. If you were closer, I'd scan them for you myself, but Dover is a little far for me. This should have really been one of your first things to check, so you aren't blindly replacing parts.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• So update I have figured everything out and my xj is 100 percent mech. The accerlating issue and loss of power was the catalytic converter. The whistle was a throttle body gasket

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!