Re-routing Trans Lines

• So this is a must do as my "cooling" lines are too close to the exhaust down pipe. Brass seems like it's too soft to hold up to the temps that the TF999 runs at (210*-215*). Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm only going by what I could find online.

Seems like stainless steel would be the ticket. Suggestions? My plan is to run soft lines out to the frame and routed up to the front of the Jeep with plenty of give for movement. This is also pre-emptive of adding a stand alone trans cooler in front of the radiator. A few suggestions on Pirate noted to add the cooler in-line with the radiator. Is there any benefit other than increased cooling surface? Also looking for suggestions to add in a temp gauge as well.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• They're not cheap but when I have replaced lines in my El Camino or if I ever did anything like that in the jeep i'd probably go stainless. They last a really long time and their pretty tough as well.

• They're not cheap but when I have replaced lines in my El Camino or if I ever did anything like that in the jeep i'd probably go stainless. They last a really long time and their pretty tough as well.

I'm only worried about the fittings at the trans... the rest of the line will be hose up to and from the radiator (eventually trans cooler). I have new hard lines that I bent to follow the original path along the oil pan but they run too close to the exhaust down pipe.. I believe one is now touching. It's causing the ATF to get too hot and push up the breather line and spew out. I just had this trans rebuilt not long ago and don't want to kill it prematurely. I thought about buying some exhaust wrap for the down pipe but chose to go the alternative route. I may still wrap the exhaust at some point in the future though.

• Ah, brass wont melt at 220*f. Brass will be fine but if u want steel go to a hydraulic shop like benz or u can order aluminum from summit.

• Ah, brass wont melt at 220*f. Brass will be fine but if u want steel go to a hydraulic shop like benz or u can order aluminum from summit.

Yeah, the brass adapters on the 6.0 tranny cooler I stole from Gavan are still holding strong in my truck... :shrug:

--Ian

• What you want to watch is the temperature in the area where you are switching from soft to hard lines. While brass will be fine, the connection of the soft line to that barbed fitting will not.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Rubber hose and barbs with hose clamps aren't the greatest for reliability with the high pressure and heat involved with an automatic. I've done this before and was constantly retightening the clamps, and the hose would swell alarmingly. My mechanic guru at the time made me switch to hard lines.
    There are tons of insulating sleeves available today. I put a reflective insulating sleeve on my hard lines where they run close to the header and have not had a problem.
    You can see them here, behind the collector.

• I've been using 15 feet of soft line with barbed fittings and clamps for 7-8 years now with no problems. You just have to get high temp/pressure transmission hose so it doesn't swell and break down over time. Or get push lock style hose from summit or Benz which is just as good. Running the trans lines through the radiator then through the cooler is supposed to better if you plan to run the vehicle in the winter. However I've run coolers both ways with no issues.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• The guy at Benz mentioned a high pressure type hose but I'm not sure if it's rubberish or a braided type. He told me to get lengths of the runs and he'd give me a price on building a set. I still have most of the roll of tubing from the first time I made the lines. I was originally thinking of running lines up over the trans and down the passenger side of the block. I'm going to look for some insulation for the exhaust and trans lines and see how that compares price wise.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!