Tuner or programmer

• I've farted around other forums, and searched here, and there seems to be a lack of info on tuners. :-/

I'm departing between a tuner (for added performance) or a simple programmer to reset my speedo for my new 35's...the programmers are around $170 or so....and the tuners are in the $300's. Either way it's a large purchase.

Does any one have any insight or suggestions before I just start experimenting!?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 Jeep Wrangler 4 Door (JKU)*SOLD*
    2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
    DE tag : OIF 118
    Honk if you see me!

• If you're towing, or like using the skinny pedal more than you should, you'll get some better performance out of the engine with a tuner. Otherwise, just stick with the calibrator. The 3.6L motor was down-tuned a bit for the Jeep vs some of the other applications, the tuners bring most of that power back, but you really only see it at full-throttle stuff or heavy loads (towing). I have a programmer, because I like the skinny pedal. ;D

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I did the FlashCal and it works great. Actually does a lot of other stuff too such as gear changes, DRL's, speedo and stuff like that. It can be upgraded to the tuner if you so choose via a software download evidently. I doubt I'll mess with it because the 3.6 gives me enough power but maybe with 35's the extra UMPH would be appreciated.

• I was excited when I thought I could just do the gear. But then realized I need to get the programmer...I was also very disappointed :-/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
    Honk if you see me!

• After farting around the web some more ive found LOT of conflicting stories about regearing from my 3.21 with the 35's.

So ill put it to you all..the knowledge base I actually trust...is it necessary to regear from 3.21 or can I stick with what I have and just spend the $300 or so on a tuner to change my shift points or what ever. This is all new to me...as it is with most jeep things. :doh:

additionally...what would I need to "re gear" from what ive seen it doesn't seem that expensive... which leads me to believe im not looking at the right equipment.

2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
    Honk if you see me!

Edited once, last by Gren71 ().

• Regearing: 2 sets of gears, 2 master install kits, and the install. I charge $250 and axle plus u bring parts and consumables, like oil, towels, brake clean, ect. Most shops are in the $4-600 range for install. Gears run around $200 each for a decent set and mi kits are about $150.

• You can always look around on eBay, Craigslist, and other classified sections for a used, but returned to stock programmer. They usually average about $150-175 and it beats paying $300.

Regearing: 2 sets of gears, 2 master install kits, and the install. I charge $250 and axle plus u bring parts and consumables, like oil, towels, brake clean, ect. Most shops are in the $4-600 range for install. Gears run around $200 each for a decent set and mi kits are about $150.

I'm glad I was able to see this, Aaron. I'll definitely be looking to possibly re-gear by next spring/summer.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!