Surf fishing checklist

• I used to offshore fish for tuna and shark, and wreck for sea bass and tautog, almost every week since I was a kid. No longer a boat owner but still want to fish. I never surf fished before and want to get into it. Bought a Jeep and getting it, and myself, ready to surf fish. I have some questions:
    1. Can I get the surf tag and permit at Eastern Marine?
    2. How long is the "season"?
    3. Best/cheapest place to buy my rod and reel.
    4. What kind of shovel are you guys carrying? Would like to make/buy mounts to mount it in the Jeep. Any pics of your shovels?
    5. What kind of jack? I have a 2" lift with 31's. Any pics of your jacks?
    6. 3"X 20' or 30' recovery strap? Buy off Amazon?
    7. Know I also need a tire gauge and board for jack...Anything else?

• The season can run into December if you don't mind the cold. Mostly stripers and bluefish throughout the fall and maybe an occasional weakfish.
    Don't cheap out on a reel, go with Penn or Shimano, something that will hold a couple hundred yards of 12-17 lb test line, I have had Okuma and Diawas that didn't make it through two seasons, but have several Penn and Shimano from 10-20 years old and are still working just fine.. A 9-10 Ft medium action rod is a good starting point
    If a bottle jack can get you off the ground stick with it, if not get a highlift. The tow strap you mentioned should work ok. I carry the crappy little folding shovel, never had to use it.

• Best deals on straps, go to metal liquidators in newport, they have tons of straps super cheap.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• A big advantage with a TJ is you don't have to air down unless conditions are really bad. That being said, In 11 years I haven't aired down. Come close to needing to a couple times but always managed to get through.

Tags can be bought at Park Offices same day, they are good for Jan - Dec. You can buy 2 year passes. Any other places need to call ahead as they run out.

• Tags can be bought at Park Offices same day, they are good for Jan - Dec. You can buy 2 year passes. Any other places need to call ahead as they run out.

To elaborate on flutterby, you can buy the passes at any of the state park offices. Meaning if you want to save a little time on that first day out, you can hit up northern state park office well in advance and have the tag all mounted up and ready to go on the day of your trip.

• A big advantage with a TJ is you don't have to air down unless conditions are really bad. That being said, In 11 years I haven't aired down. Come close to needing to a couple times but always managed to get through.

Although I agree, airing down on a Jeep isn't absolutely required, it does have some real benefits.

- Better ride and much easier to control, getting out of ruts and such.
    - Easier on the drive train, more power , riding on top of the sand is easier on everything rather than pushing 4 piles of sand everywhere.
    - Some Automatic transmissions can over heat (some Jeeps have even burned ) .
    - Almost no chance of getting stuck and looking like a tool on the beach and getting pulled out by a Chevy or Ford !
    - The more aggressive the tread, the more airing down helps,

That said, short run, no biggie. Longer beach runs, you might like it better aird down to 18-20 psi.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• Do lockers benefit you at all on the beach? I prefer beach driving in 4H but can't use lockers (Rubicon) unless I'm in 4L. I have a FlashCal so I technically can run lockers in 4H but is it even beneficial in that type of terrain? This is in an effort to not get stuck. Most likely if I end up stuck i'm probably going to go to 4L and lock front/rear to try and crawl out anyways. This is just when you're actually driving around etc.

• I always run the beach in 4lo. Easier on the drive train. No supposed to drive fast anyway. Shouldnt need lockers.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• 4h vs 4l is a personal preference thing and depends a lot on how your jeep is set up, tires gearing... as a driver you want the jeep to be working as easy as possible. all that being said, if you are going fast enough to be in 4h, you wont need lockers.

eastern marine does sell the permits, that is where I buy mine.

• Do lockers benefit you at all on the beach? I prefer beach driving in 4H but can't use lockers (Rubicon) unless I'm in 4L. I have a FlashCal so I technically can run lockers in 4H but is it even beneficial in that type of terrain? This is in an effort to not get stuck. Most likely if I end up stuck i'm probably going to go to 4L and lock front/rear to try and crawl out anyways. This is just when you're actually driving around etc.

I always use 4Lo on the sand, better torque so your engine doesn't get bogged down trying to rev up through the gear. For the autos, it really helps to prevent overheating (not that big of a concern for Jeeps, except the 07-11 years). It also helps keep you from speeding up too fast and spinning the tires (and possibly digging a hole).

Lockers, not usually. I only turn on mine going through the really soft section where the access road meets the beach, just to keep all 4 tires moving over the sand. I've never aired down my JK, even with the factory BFG MTs.

I usually get my permit from Eastern Marine, too. There's a small service fee, I think a dollar or two vs buying from at a state park.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• haha...

External Content vimeo.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

My Jeep was the "fastest" one there, with a 4:1 4Lo gear and 3.73 axle gears. You should have a 2.71 4Lo and 4.10 axle gears (bigger numbers, more reduction... so slower), so you'll be a bit faster than a walking pace once the engine warms up. :)

For the manual trans folks, 2nd gear and 4lo seems fairly popular.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• first gear 4 high. no airing down needed. you won't, but if you think you're bogging, second gear 4 low.

driven my TJ on 33s and 4.10s. Also a 2012 stock JK. never had an issue, the DE beaches are pretty easy, but not easy enough for a minivan :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!