Rod holder for Jeep

• I was gonna order this from Quadratec and mount it to the bumper http://www.quadratec.com/products/92038_XXXX_PG.htm
    but it has no tabs to mount a surf plate and where I will be mounting it will be right where the plate would go. I was then thinking of mounting a rod holder right to the bumper itself. However I am not sure I can do this because I think I need a long rod holder to support a surf rod and that wont fit on the bumper. Only other option is to mount some kind of rod holder to my rear receiver rack that will support a long rod. Any suggestions or pictures of what you guys got. I think I am going to Jeep Week in OC so I am hoping to get some ideas if I go.

• Thats what I was originally thinking but I can see the tie dry rotting and the plate flying off on the road somewhere. I have seen the identical rack with tabs welded on for mounting the plate but have yet to see them for sale anywhere.

• Both my Jeeps for reference.

Both are mounted in a hitch. A 6 rod on the JKU and a 4 rod on the TJ.
    The plate for the TJ is mounted to the rod holder with a few clamp brackets from single pipe rod holders (and it has LED light bolts for it .
    The plate for the JKU is mounted to the cross member of the rod holder with some long machine screws.
    Longest fishing rod I carry is 10' and is just fine on either Jeep but sits lower on the JKU.

That rod holder you linked to is a little pricey . You can get them online for around $75 FWIW.

• Can you take a picture of the set up on the TJ? You said its a hitch mount, is it that the hitch that mounts on top of the bumper? Thats the only one I see for the TJ online,
    Where are you finding the rod holders online for $75? I have scoured the internet and Quadratec is the cheapest around that I have found.

• I bought the "reel rack". It's a reinforced spare tire cover with built in rod holders. It's great and easy. On or off in one minute. Allows me to still use my receiver hitch. They make for all size tires. I have pictures but don't know how to load them. I can text them. I think their website is "thereelrack.com" but don't hold me to it. I'll be at Cape Henlopen Saturday if anyone wants to see it.

Not cheapest option, $79, but definitely the simplist.

• I have a hitch on the top of my bumper on my TJ. Bought it used from a forum member for cheap.
    I bought a cargo rack from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/5…-cargo-carrier-66983.html) and just bolted some PVC pipe to it to hold my rods.

Got a picture of the rod holders mounted to the rack? I bought the same rack in aluminum for the rear of the Jeep. I don't want to put a full rack on the front because I think its gonna block too much of my radiator with the cooler,etc. I can just mount the rods behind the jeep as well.

• Thats what I was originally thinking but I can see the tie dry rotting and the plate flying off on the road somewhere. I have seen the identical rack with tabs welded on for mounting the plate but have yet to see them for sale anywhere.

I run zip ties on my rack. The Jeep will be a rusty pile before the zip tie dry rots.

Got a picture of the rod holders mounted to the rack? I bought the same rack in aluminum for the rear of the Jeep. I don't want to put a full rack on the front because I think its gonna block too much of my radiator with the cooler,etc. I can just mount the rods behind the jeep as well.

Cooling won't be an issue. I have an ARB cooler on the front of my Jeep that covers the whole front of the Jeep and never have had a cooling issue.

• Can you take a picture of the set up on the TJ? You said its a hitch mount, is it that the hitch that mounts on top of the bumper? Thats the only one I see for the TJ online,
    Where are you finding the rod holders online for $75? I have scoured the internet and Quadratec is the cheapest around that I have found.

Its pretty much this bumper that was notched for the rod holder / rack .

[img alt=OR-Fab Rock Slider Front Bumper Jeep Wrangler TJ 1997-2006. Steal It!]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjA1WDk1Nw==/z/158AAOSw-vlVjvGt/$_58.JPG[/img]

Here is closeup of my TJ..Ignore the rust.

I paid $75 for my 4 rod holder several years ago. (tho I paid $20 for the 6 rod holder on my JK)
    So that link you posted seems like a decent price but keep an eye on Craigslist. JIC.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!