Geocaching

• Anybody into geocaching? I haven't logged very many in the past few years, been way too busy, but I'd like to use it as an excuse to get out into the local parks and do some hiking. Especially since the temp and humidity are starting to drop.

I'm planning to do several long-ish hikes along the Skyline Drive next month and figured that a GPS would be nice to have, so I just picked up a Garmin GPSMap 64s. It's a pretty nice handheld GPS for hiking, especially in dense terrain since it has a better antenna than most other GPS receivers. It's also got a Geocache menu to make it easier to hunt for geocaches, including displaying the description, recent logs and hints.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Erica and I used to quite a bit a few years back. We set our own caches and found lots of them. Just this past spring we released a small toy Jeep with a bug attached with directions that it wanted to make it to Minnesota for my nieces and nephews to find. It moved 2 or 3 times in the right direction and last I saw it was picked up near central Pennsylvania and hasn't landed in another cache yet.

https://www.geocaching.com/tra…dd-4cf3-8c7b-f79ff1dc967d

• I had placed several caches of my own, only 2 currently active. The travel bugs tend to disappear after a while, especially if it's a geocoin. But, I've seen some come back to life after a year or longer of sitting on someones desk. Back in 2006/07, Jeep did a promotion to win a JK via special Jeep hot wheels cars as travel bugs, those tended to vanish quickly... Hehe. I was able to be the originating geocacher for one of them, hid it deep in the Pine Barrens, 4x4 or muddy hike requires.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• that's impressive! I'll have to look that up. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

• i tried to find one recently in white clay....it's been a while since ive logged one. Poor cell connection (and planning from not downloading it first) i gave up. Had my son with me, and it was getting late so we turned back. Ill get back to it one of these days. Still have my geobug on the JKU

• I've just done a few quick micro caches in the area near work and home, playing with different ways of loading the caches onto the GPS. I renewed my premium membership, so I can do bulk queries. The geocaches that I found, I could have done with just with just the c:geo app on my phone. Sheesh, one of them, I didn't use either! Just used google maps to figure out the most likely spot. :) But, the geocache mode in the GPS is pretty cool, makes it a bit easier.

Jerry / Whatevah

• I've been Geocaching off and on for quite a few years, since I was introduced to it while deployed. Have had a good time with it over the years.. but have been a bit slack with it over the last year or so... There are a few caches that I've been really wanting to do, if I can find them again, that are a bit harder, mainly for the hike to get to GZ in the first place... Could be fun to get some Jeepers together, maybe even some new ones, that might have had some interest in trying GC out..

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!!

• Hmm... a Jeep and Geocache event? :)

Jerry / Whatevah

• Hmm... a Jeep and Geocache event? :)

Hells yea... that would be an awesome event idea.. Wonder if we can talk the folks that run the canal into allowing us to do an even there, not so much to tear up the place or anything.. but to just hang out and hit up all the s**t ton of caches on both sides of the canal.. or hit up the other places that have quite a few caches... can't wait till my little one (10 month old) gets older and can go out and enjoy caching (not to mention showing me up at finding them)..

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!!

• As long as you keep the vehicles on the roads there wouldn't be a problem. Just be prepared to hike into the brush.

There was a geocache at Paragon. At the start of a trail ride someone had wanted to hike in and find it but they wouldn't let him. He road with me but wanted to get out at Cherokee Ridge (I think that was the trail name). Trail guide said we weren't waiting and that he wasn't allowed to leave the group. I think he realized that he didn't know exactly where he was or how to get back out on his own (and it was winter) so he decided to stay with the group.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Most of the geocaches at the canal are along the roads or within a short hike from it.

Jerry / Whatevah

• One note to do this on State lands you need a permit from fish and wildlife.

Only to hide the cache. You don't have to do anything special if you're just looking for one.

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!