Customized help

• I am new to this forum. Have a 79cj7
    Customized leaf spring lift 35" tires new Dana 44 in front ford 9" axle in back
    When I decelerate or stop accelerating the jeep jerks hard right . It's a little
    Scary. there are no sway bars or traction bars. Is this a simple fix?
    Anyone recommend someone in the Newark area who could help with this ?
    Thank you .

• There are several things this could be. Obviously something is uneven. The tires should all be the same brand and evenly worn and the same pressure. Any size difference could cause pulling. If the air pressure is the same you could swap the rear tires left to right and see if the problem is reversed. If it's the same it's not the tires. Swap them back because that's not the way to rotate most tires. The brakes could be dragging on the right. I would check both sides brake pads for uneven wear, and see that the calipers are free. You didn't say if you have a locking rear. The wheel bearing or carrier bearing on one side could be having problems. I use an infrared temperature gun to check for big temperature differences which could indicate the problem area. Drive for a while at speed and then check the temps on the housing at the outer and inner bearing locations, they should be close to the same. You could also check brake rotor temp at that time. Anything from the pinion forward would cause an "even" pull, so I would rule that out.
    I would look at the rear springs and all the mounting points. especially the front hangers on the rear springs. Are the bushings intact or is there some slop? Use a pry bar and check for movement here, there should be no real play to speak of. Check that the axle is secured tightly at the u-bolts and that it measures equal from the front hanger to the axle tube. It needs to be the same or else it is crooked. It could be the same and still crooked if the frame is tweaked. You can check the frame by measuring diagonally one way and then the other way from some fixed equal points. People need to realize that winching is similar to putting the frame on a frame table for straightening. If it is winched too hard from one side or the other, 8000 pounds or more of uneven pull can bend it. There are frame specs on the web that show measurements for reference.
    An alignment shop might be able to help. You would be looking for what I think is called a thrust angle alignment, which not all shops can do.
    Anyway, check those things and report back. Good luck!

• Do you have a locker? Perhaps something is wrong with that and it's not disengaging right. Probably an issue with the leaf springs how they are bolted to the axle.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• In addition to the other comments.
    Swaybar: Pick up sway bar from YJ, should fit the wider front 44. Worked great for my scout 44. Add a set of disconnects for off road.
    Check your your spring hanger and shackle bushings for excessive wear.

Question , is the trouble when you actually brake ? or is it any deceleration like down shifting?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• a locker that did not disengage would not make him pull to one side, if anything, it would force him straighter, even if turning.

is it one initial jerk, or a steady pull?

if steady pull when braking, I would check for calipers that are frozen open on the side it is turning away from.

if initial jerk, I would check your leaf spring bushings and leaf shackles

• It does have creger lockers on the front, but they seem to engage ok, there are no lockers on the back
    I am getting it today from the tire guy, got new tires , tried to have alignment done but the shop said they couldnt perform due to "the suspension lift". didnt really expand, but said the steering box/gears were all intact.
    I will definitely look at all those recommendations and post some pics maybe that will help

the car jerks, its not a steady pull while accelerating it drives just fine, but any letup will pull very hard to the right.

thank you all for the posts, im a beginner at this.. so all appreciated.

• Because its happening when you decelerate that tells me it's a torque loading issue. When accelerating and decelerating the axle wants to rotate up and down slightly because of the torque load being applied and removed. That leads me to believe that perhaps the u-bolts holding the axle to the leaf springs may be too loose, allowing the axle to move. I'm wondering if the leaf spring pin has sheared, allowing the axle to move.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• the car jerks...

... im a beginner at this.. so all appreciated.

I'll offer this piece of advice: Don't call it a car. It's a Jeep. :thumbup:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• no offense but by your descriptions it sounds like u need to learn a little more of the lingo. U will find it pretty easy to pick up but its hard to do over the internet. U r gonna need to get it by one of the experienced guys here to explain to u what some of the parts are and how the lingo goes. Im in wilmington and can help. There r many things that can cause the jeep to pull some of them simple some dangerous.

• WILLYN,
    I will definitely join, and I may take your up on your offer. Ill be going through all of the things posted when i pick up the Jeep tonight and report back... but if you see a red CJ7 coming your way to Delaware City all over the road...itll be me

• no offense but by your descriptions it sounds like u need to learn a little more of the lingo. U will find it pretty easy to pick up but its hard to do over the internet. U r gonna need to get it by one of the experienced guys here to explain to u what some of the parts are and how the lingo goes. Im in wilmington and can help. There r many things that can cause the jeep to pull some of them simple some dangerous.

astape, thank you for your offer as well. sorry my description is probably terrible..Ill try to get more information for you guys when i review all the things you recommended and repost
    I grew up by stanleys tavern in wilmington as well.

• Do you suspect the problem is in the front end alignment?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If it's not a stock vehicle, I think they probably just don't want to get involved in someone's problems. Some people will take advantage of businesses that way. As soon as the shop touches it they want to hold them responsible for everything involved. I've dealt with that sort of thing and it really is not worth it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!