tap water in coolant mix

• I replaced the radiator this weekend in my 2001 TJ, but i mixed the coolant with tap water instead of distilled water. How bad is this? Google says everything from, "it's fine" to "you're engine will melt".

little details:
    I used 1.5 gal of 50/50 mix
    I'm on city water that is high in chlorine

thanks for any insight,
    Kevin

• its not the clorine its the high mineral level. U are better with city water the most well water. I would leave it, the tj 4 or 6 cyl are a robust steel block and head. Its the aluminum blocks and rads that have more of a issue.

• I wouldn't lose sleep over it... If it's city water, it's not as bad as well water (not as much mineral content). Still, though... calcium is the main issue, over time it'll leave deposits and wear down the pump blades. Maybe try to dilute it some with more coolant mix if you can't drain and refill with distilled. Personally, I'd probably leave it alone over the winter, then reverse flush and refill in the spring. I know my dad always used well water on our cars growing up and I used tap water for a while in my XJ before I knew better, without any noticeable issues.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• it should be fine, but the 00 and newer engines should be using the red coolant not the green. its much less harmful to the engine

• why? Its the same block, head and rad. They only changed the ignition system. Maybe the spec did change but i dont see y?

• the 00-02 0331 heads are prone to cracking. I know that I cracked two of them. Maybe they found that one coolant helped prevent overheating a little more? That said, I run the green stuff in my XJ.

Important to mention... DO NOT mix coolant types. They'll turn into a sludge mixture and can clog stuff up.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Thanks for the great responses! I will do a flush, not sure if it will be next month or in the spring.

The Jeep had the green stuff in it, and that's what i used. I checking the owner's manual it stated it should have HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) AKA the orange stuff. After the flush, I plan to use the orange stuff.

Orange vs. Green: (NEVER MIX!)
    From the University of Tennessee: An alternative to tradition green antifreeze is a product currently used by many engine manufacturers. "Orange" antifreeze is a long life or extended life type of antifreeze used to increase the useful life of engine coolant. It is ethylene glycol base as is the green antifreeze. The difference between the two colors is that orange antifreeze contains a different type of corrosion inhibitor that has a much longer service life than silicates, phosphates and borates. Orange antifreeze contains organic acids that protect engine parts from corrosion. Silicate (green) type antifreeze does not mix with orange type antifreeze. Never mix the two colors in a cooling system. The organic acids in orange types will cause precipitation of silicates in the green type and corrosion protection is greatly reduced. Orange type antifreezes are good for five years or 100,000/150,000 miles in newer vehicles (1996 and later). They can be used in many older vehicles (ask your vehicle dealer if it is safe to use orange antifreeze) if all of the green mixture is flushed from the system and is replaced with the orange mixture. Useful life is about four years or 60,000 miles in older cars.
    :driving:

• the 00-02 0331 heads are prone to cracking. I know that I cracked two of them. Maybe they found that one coolant helped prevent overheating a little more? That said, I run the green stuff in my XJ.

Important to mention... DO NOT mix coolant types. They'll turn into a sludge mixture and can clog stuff up.

00-01 XJ only had the 331 cracking head according to mopar, my 01 had it and eventually caused no 6 rod bearing to fail so i rebuild the whole thing and used a Pro Maxx cylinder head. would not believe what a fresh .20 over motor will run and look like.

I dont know why they changed the coolant in later years but they must have found it was better for the engine somehow, cant say that i have seen an XJ with the red but plenty of TJs i have, my 05 with 22k on the clock has red and so does another guys 01 here. Both original

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!