Help with this 89 YJ

• Hey everyone,

I own a 89 YJ 4.2l 5spd and I'm in need of a shop or individual around here that can help me out. I've been having issues with my Jeep lately and I'm ready to get them fixed right. Below I have listed a couple things that are a priority...

1) Swap out the Carter Carb for the Motorcraft 2150 - This is a must. Anyone who's had an older Jeep knows the pain I'm talking about. Terrible idle, bad power, and aweful mpg. The overall performance of the Carter is garbage and I'm ready for an upgrade.

2) Plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and ignition coil - This is a fairly easy maintenance piece but I lack the tools or experience to get it done. It certainly needs it though. In fact, as I type this, my Jeep sits dead out in the driveway unable to start because of the rain. There must be moisture getting in my cap and interrupting the spark.

3) Regearing to 4.10 - This is something I'd like to get done so I can enjoy my Jeep over 55mph. It currently sits on MasterCraft 33's and just can't seem to get them moving efficiently.

If anyone knows a shop, or individual, that can help me out I'd be extremely grateful! Any information would be great!

Thanks guys!
    Zach

• Awesome, I'll definitely look into that option. Right now I'm focusing on the carb upgrade to get it running and driving more reliably. Next will for sure be the regearing.

• After talking wit him it looks like he is gonna do a 2150 kit with a tfi. i did a similar upgrade with good results earlier this summer.

• I had that set up before going with the fuel injection. Worked great! Added noticeable mid-range power.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!