Undercoating

• Hey Everybody, I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 2009 4 door JK and I need to have it undercoated. I called around to a few body shops about having it done but none of them did it. My plan is to hit it with a wire brush and then paint it with POR15 but I just don't have time or a good place to do it in the winter. Anyone have any suggestions on where/who I could pay to this?

• For POR you want to sand blast. It will provide the etching needed for the POR to grab hold.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• John...the name says it all. POR = Paint Over Rust. Just wire brush off the lose scale and go to town. If you want to go the extra mile, give it a wash of Metal-Ready (a POR-15 product) which will etch the bare metal and prime the surface. But sandblasting isn't necessary at all.

• It's the best way though. Friend of mine used to sell it and has restored numerous cars using it. I trust his experience.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'd have to agree with John, I'm more of a fan of rust bullet when coating without much prep. POR15 is good but seems to need decent prep for it to adhere long term...Rust bullet literally just needs you to knock off any loose stuff and slather it on.

--Ian

• I've never heard of rust bullet. Have to look that up (now that I have a glass body)

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I've never heard of rust bullet. Have to look that up (now that I have a glass body)

I found it awhile back when looking for coatings for my old trailer...most articles/reviews I'd found talked about how it adheres to dirty surfaces better than POR, my experience has been the same. Like I said, if you can prep it as per directions POR is nice but if you're lazy/in a hurry/etc I've found rust bullet to be better. The garage journal guys like it and even use it as a 'cheap' floor coating.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!