Transmission life

• I will be away between Feb 4th thru the 11th and won't be available until Sunday the 12th. Thanks

I'm in no hurry. Gonna bring the Jeep up and put the water pump on then it will be sometime after that

If you get a transmission jack, be careful it's not too high! Sounds crazy, but mine starts out at over four feet, and by the time you get a transmission on it it can be too tall to roll it out from under the vehicle.
    Heated garage is definitely awesome, lets you get all the garage work done in winter to be able to play all summer!

I might see if I can borrow one for now until I free up some extra money to buy one. My lift goes up pretty high but I have to remember my engine support might not.

it will be evening work but it might be mext weekend. ill try to update as i know more.

The weekend would be better for me anyway. Hey, is there a way to check the clutch to see if it needs replacement? The only thing I notice is when I am in gear accelerating it sounds like a bearing noise when starting out. When doing a clutch do you also have to resurface/replace the flywheel?

That clutch you linked is the one I have, I'd suggest that you get an all metal throw out bearing and not even the ones that came with it.
    The one pictured is the one I got

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

How do you like the clutch? I am not off roading only on the beach. Advanced sells that bearing for $34. There is a coupon code for 40% off. The clutch and that throwout bearing would be $113

• Just watched a bunch of YouTube videos. Dude I'm ready! Did some research on clutches and a lot of people like the LUK 01-040. Amazon has it for $83 shipped. One thing LUK has that wwch99tj pointed out is that it has the plastic throw out bearing. In the Amazon reviews that was the only complaint from people because they were supposedly causing noise. The all steel National bearing is only $20 from Advanced with the discount. Maybe I will order the LUK. Complete with the steel throw out bearing I will have a hair over $100 in the clutch kit. From the videos I have seen the hardest part looks like it would be putting the trans back in. None of the videos I saw actually showed them re-installing the transmission, installing the throw out bearing, or pilot bearing. Looks like it would be difficult lining up the input shaft, splines, and marrying the trans back to the motor. I guess that's where the extra hands come in.

• A pilot bushing or bearing is the only other wear item in there. Not sure which it has, but if it's a bearing I would definitely replace it because it's relatively cheap but difficult to get to.
    Typically with high mileage you should plan to have the flywheel resurfaced. Unless the clutch has had an unusually easy life it is probably scored or grooved or glazed or something. They can be surface ground if flat. It has been pointed out that some are not made to be flat, so I'm not sure if you resurface these or just replace. You probably ought to research the specifics on your vehicle for that one. The job will need to be done in two phases unless you have a machine shop that will surface while-u-wait. That said, many a clutch has been put on an old flywheel with just breaking the glaze with sandpaper. The smoother the flywheel, the smoother the clutch action and the less wear you will have.
    There is probably a seal in the input housing of the transmission as well as a gasket under it. If it is not leaking it's a toss up if you should pull and replace it, but if it is leaking any then it would be good to have the seal and gasket handy.

• personally i have never seen a 4.0l need the flywheel resurfaced. also they r domed so surfacing is even a worse idea. im pretty sure they r only $55 new. pilots can be hard to pull but harber freight has a puller set thats only a few bucks. the right tools make the job eaisier.

If u alight the clutch with the tool sliding it together is no big deal. a good trans jack tilts so aligning is easier.

Luk is the oem manufact. its what i would recommend.

• Typically with high mileage you should plan to have the flywheel resurfaced. Unless the clutch has had an unusually easy life it is probably scored or grooved or glazed or something. They can be surface ground if flat. It has been pointed out that some are not made to be flat, so I'm not sure if you resurface these or just replace. You probably ought to research the specifics on your vehicle for that one. The job will need to be done in two phases unless you have a machine shop that will surface while-u-wait. That said, many a clutch has been put on an old flywheel with just breaking the glaze with sandpaper.

Don't resurface. The AX-15 and 5 use a convex flywheel surface and a resurface will destroy it. The FSM says just scuff it and inspect.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• For $55. I would probably just buy one new, but that's just me. I knew you guys knew something about this, thanks for the clarification. Do you know if that's a pilot bearing or bushing? With a bushing you can pack the cavity full of grease and use a socket or something that fits tight in the bushing. Hammer it into the grease and the hydraulic pressure forces the bushing out. It's very cool! I think it doesn't work as good on a bearing because the space around the rollers lets the grease pressure out before the bearing moves.
    The new flywheel would also get you a new ring gear, which could be a good thing too depending on the condition of the old one. The quieter the engine is, the more likely someone has tried to start it while running or something.
    You may be able to inspect the clutch already in there. If there's an inspection cover, or through the dust cover. If you can get a look at the outside edge of the disc with a mirror and light you should see the ends of the grooves on the friction surface. If either or both sides are worn to the point where you can't see these, then it is probably ready.
    My buddy's TJ made throwout bearing noise since he bought it almost fifteen years ago. He just replaced it all recently. I can't believe it went so long.

• The clutch works fine I don't Offroad (gulp) ... I didn't replace the flywheel the first time due to it lookin fine. I replace everything the second time just because I was in there.
    For the cost of a new flywheel I'd just replace it , the clutch kit comes with a pilot bearing

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!