3rd brake light issue

• Need some help...

I went to install a 3rd brake light (Rockhard 4x4 brand) yesterday. I have LED tail lights and spliced it into the passenger side tail light harness (before the tail light housing). The 3rd light came on with the headlights but was pretty dim. Tried the turn signals and the tail lights worked fine but the 3rd light dimmed more with each flash. Then I discovered the brake lights wouldn't light up at all (either side). So I pulled the 3rd brake wiring out, reconnected everything back to the way it was and still no brake lights. Turn signals, running lights, hazards, reverse all work perfectly, just no brake lights. Checked ALL of the fuses and they're intact. All I can think to replace is..

1. Turn signal relay
    2. Stop/Hazard relay
    3. Neutral Safety Switch

Any other suggestions? '89 Wrangler

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• To my knowledge, the third brake light doesn't come on with clearance lights. It only lights up when the brake is applied. It could also be the brake switch. I believe it's on the brake pedal. It's supposed to be wired to the brake light only.

If you're afraid of struggle, then you're afraid of growth. You have to go through it to get to it. Let it build you, not break you.

• I've narrowed it down to the brake switch... which won't be in until tomorrow. I tested it earlier and the one side didn't receive power until until I pushed the brake pedal. But I jumped the switch and the brake lights came on. So I'll switch it out tomorrow when the part comes in and hopefully I'll be back in business. Check out this ghetto rigging! When I need to stop, touch one lead to the other and >Boom < brake lights!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!