First Time Wrangler

• Hi

My oldest son has been driving a 98 Laredo for the last 5 years that we bought from our mechanic. Its still runs great and it changed our family from Nissan to Jeep.

I got my first Wrangler this past summer, and im looking for a soft top,
    its a 2014 2 door sport.

Looking for recommendations from people with much more experience than me.

My concerns aside from leaking are (in order)

Wind noise
    Ease of putting up and down
    Cost.
    Any advice or direction would be appreciated!

Looking forward to meeting some new jeep friends!

Thanks!

Mark

• Welcome to the family!

Wind noise will be very different compared to a hard top, but there are differences in the different top options. The factory "Premium" top or the Bestop aftermarket "Twill" topics will be the least noisy but carry a price premium that I personally don't think is worth it for just a summer top. Look for the heaviest top material that you can... more weight equals more insulation, generally. Bestop uses 28oz Sailcloth material in their standard tops and their Twill tops have a different 30oz material. Quadratec mostly uses 24oz Sailcloth but their Premium tops have a similar 28oz Sailcloth material like Bestop. There are some other brands, but their tops are usually missing essential hardware pieces that you have to purchase bumping up the price to Quadratec or Bestop brands.

Ease of use varies per design and there are 4 main options...
    1. Factory design. Partial runroof fold, and complete fold. The partial takes seconds and you can do at a traffic light. The complete fold requires unzipping the windows and pressing 2 levers or pulling two quick-release pins. Takes a few minutes, but easy.
    2. Fastback design, frameless. This has a "fastback" look with an angled back window and is designed to be used either as a full top, bikini top (windows out with no visible framework) or completely removed... you can do a sunroof fold, but can't fold it down behind the seat as there is no pivot hardware. Sunroof fold is the same, takes seconds. Bikini mode just requires removing the windows. Removing the rest requires pulling a few quick-release pins and unclipping a bar at the back of the rollbar, pretty simple. Re-install takes a bit more effort, about 10 minutes as the windows need a specific method to install. Benefit is cheaper price and bikini function, with the con of extra window effort.
    2.5 Fastback design, variations... there are some other options that don't have the sunroof fold, or removeable windows, but I don't think that those are normally worth it. The only one worth considering is the Trail Top from Rampage, since the windows are removeable and you can store them inside the top when in bikini mode. http://www.quadratec.com/products/11119_1535_07.htm
    3. Fastback design, with frame. Similar in looks and functions to the frameless top, but adds a complete fold option is a lot easier to remove and re-install the windows. Similar timeframe as the factory design for complete removal. Costs more than the frameless top (same as factory design), but easier to use. This is a new top that has just been released, only one company makes this... the Bestop Trektop NX Glide.
    4. "Trektop Pro". This is a hybrid top, part soft and part hard top... use it as a full top, sunroof fold, remove windows or remove completely, no complete fold option. Complete removal and re-install is about the same time as the frameless design, but you'll need two people due to the glass windows and extra weight. Pro is a lot quieter and you can use an ice scraper on the windows, con is extra cost. Not usually recommended unless you're going to get rid of the hardtop.

Rain leaks for all of these are pretty low, my frameless Bestop Trektop NX has never leaked, even in torrential downpours on the highway. Meanwhile, my hardtop leaks onto my seat after any good rain. Just make sure that the top has a cable spring design that goes over the doors, this is a tension device to keep leaks away. Any other leaks will be from the top not being adjusted properly and the leading edge of the top not sealing to the windshield frame (usually an easy fix). I've heard that the NX Glide top can have leak issues due to user error since there are no zippers, but haven't seen one in person yet.

Cost varies for quality and design. For money, go for the fastback design, the frameless versions are the cheapest complete tops at around $700 ($50 mail-in rebate drops that to 650). The factory design runs at $1000 (aftermarket... Mopar version is $1360) and the "Trektop Pro" starts at $1550. I went with the frameless design since it's just a summer top for me.

I prefer Bestop, since they make the factory tops and have a good warranty process. For the factory design (most people seem to prefer this): http://www.quadratec.com/products/11102_143X_PG.htm for frameless: http://www.quadratec.com/products/11116_3435_07.htm for fastback with frame: http://www.quadratec.com/p/bes…7-jeep-wrangler-jk-2-door for the "trektop pro": http://www.quadratec.com/products/11116_6001_07.htm All of these come with tinted rear windows. the Rampage top I linked above is a good choice as well, though.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Nice writeup Jerry, one of the downsides of the fastback tops is you lose a little storage space. May not matter for some but if you've ever crammed a weekends worth of camping gear or every last bag of mulch you can fit up to the point it blocks the rearview mirror then it might be something to consider

• Nice writeup Jerry, one of the downsides of the fastback tops is you lose a little storage space. May not matter for some but if you've ever crammed a weekends worth of camping gear or every last bag of mulch you can fit up to the point it blocks the rearview mirror then it might be something to consider

I forgot about that... it's less of an issue with a 2-door vs 4-door due to the rollbar design. I've actually only used mine for camping trips and did ok, you don't really use the space between the rollbar and the back window unless it's something soft.

WOW, thanks everyone especially Jerry. I never expected this great help! You guys are awesome!

no problem, I've worked at Quadratec a few times so I learned a lot and try to keep up to date on the products out there. Post up if you have any more questions. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Hi again
    Any thoughts on the doors that accompany the trek tops?

I found a pair a guy wants to sell for $350. To match the top I was considering. Are they worth it?

again if I was going to have soft doors, I was figuring I would just take them off altogether. But again being such a newbie not sure if i'm passing up a deal

• Hi again
    Any thoughts on the doors that accompany the trek tops?

I found a pair a guy wants to sell for $350. To match the top I was considering. Are they worth it?

again if I was going to have soft doors, I was figuring I would just take them off altogether. But again being such a newbie not sure if i'm passing up a deal

Are they the two-piece doors with windows or just the lower halfs? The two-piece doors retail at $520 and the lower-only doors are $310. They're really more of a "want" vs "need" thing. They're a lot louder than factory doors (canvas and vinyl vs steel and glass), don't really seal against weather and while they can be locked... it's pretty silly to do that since you can easily bend out the window and rip it off to gain access (or just unzip and remove the top windows).

I see them as being nice and lightweight so they're very easy to take off frequently vs the heavy factory doors. So, if you intend to run without the doors most of the summer and just want something you can keep in the back of the Jeep and throw on real quick when weather comes... go for it. Hope this makes sense. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

• Thanks Jerry I decided against the doors. I dont see a real reason for them except if i wanted to protect from unexpected rain.

I wound up getting the BESTOP NX with the front slider that pulls back real easy.
    It went on a lot easier than i thought it would and looks great. The noise isnt bad all, i kind of like that noise actually!

What do you use to clean the top? what about protecting the material?

Thanks again!
    Mark

• The noise really isn't that bad, and you'll certainly get used to it. :)

For cleaning, any good quality car cleaner will work for the canvas with a decent soft brush or wash pad. Don't use any aggressive cleaners or dish soap because they can stain and lower the lifespan of the material. I use the Car Wash Shampoo from Adam's Polishes, but any brand name car soap will be fine. If there are stains leftover, you can use a canvas-specific product- Bestop makes one (just get their 3-piece combo) and you can get it locally from brands like Meguiars and others. You can also use car soap on the windows, with one big caveat... wash them first so you don't scratch them with dirt from elsewhere on the Jeep. Preferably, use a high-quality wash mitt over a broom type thing. I use a synthetic wool wash pad, but anything decent will work. Avoid any "microfiber" stuff (wash pads or drying/polishing towels) that feels "scratchy" on your hand when it's dry as those will ultimately scratch the vinyl windows. Bestop makes vinyl window cleaner for a nice final step or if they're not that dirty to begin with. https://www.quadratec.com/cate…_top_accessories/cleaners

For the canvas protectant you can use anything intended for a convertible top. Bestop makes a few things and there's also RAGGTOP and 303 that you can sometimes find locally. If you have any friends with classic cars, ask what they use on their convertible tops... usually the same stuff.

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!