Window Tinting

• Pretty sure Gotshade is the same as Formula One.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

You are correct. They offer several quality levels of tinting and that was the lowest level IIRC what she said.

What nobody has touched on is also the quality of the tint itself....cheap tint fades (see Geoff's purple tint example above), has poor optical properties (haze, halo effect at night, etc), scratches easily, is thin and a PITA to remove (I peeled 'good' tint from the front of our GC before inspection and it was a 5min process), don't have the same heat reflecting properties (look up ceramic vs carbon) and the metallic tints can even affect cellphone reception. I can be as big of a cheap DIYer as the next guy but tint is something you have to look at every day and it's worth it to me to have a perfect job with quality materials.

--Ian

Very true... although it hasn't been mentioned here, I had already taken the initiative to research the differences and qualities in materials, ink/dyes, etc.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Good info here. I've been wanting to get my front door windows tinted on my truck. Few years ago rhino line tinted my jk windows and I never been too happy with the quality and durability of it.

• Well, I've been meaning to update this so here goes...

I did try and use the lens tinting on the rear window. The color is supposed to be "translucent black" but it didn't quite turn out that way. I'm guessing that the color name references how the lens tint works... ie that the tint keeps a good amount of direct light from entering the light housing, diffusing the light and thereby shading the interior of the housing and giving the appearance of "tinting." When you apply it to a surface that allows light through both sides then the "tinting" doesnt work. When I applied it, the appearance looked like frosted glass and pretty much worked the same way. On the ride tonwork the next morning, the view out of the window from the inside was distorted and made distinguishing vehicles behind me pretty much impossible. So when ibgot home from work I pulled the lens tint off the window. It wasn't hard to do and peels off pretty easily. Pics below of the views looking in and out.

I did try and use the lens tinting on the rear window. The color is supposed to be "translucent black" but it didn't quite turn out that way. I'm guessing that the color name references how the lens tint works... ie that the tint keeps a good amount of direct light from entering the light housing, diffusing the light and thereby shading the interior of the housing and giving the appearance of "tinting." When you apply it to a surface that allows light through both sides then the "tinting" doesnt work. When I applied it, the appearance looked like frosted glass and pretty much worked the same way. On the ride tonwork the next morning, the view out of the window from the inside was distorted and made distinguishing vehicles behind me pretty much impossible. So when ibgot home from work I pulled the lens tint off the window. It wasn't hard to do and peels off pretty easily. Pics below of the views looking in and out.

Pretty sure we all saw this coming.... It was a terrible idea.

dude... http://www.dictionary.com/browse/translucent

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!