Window Tinting

• Anyone have a good recommendation on a shop to get my hardtop windows tinted? I would prefer not having to travel below Middletown or go into Wilmington unless I have to. :thumbup:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I had Formula One do my Acura at 15% and then remove it and do it at 5%. Its stupid dark but my wife loves it and they were reasonably priced, good to work with, and the quality was great. Also had them put a clear blue on the whole windshield that helps block out heat and protect the inside from UV.

• Not hard to do yourself. Since the glass is easy to remove and reinstall should be pretty easy to get seamless coverage.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Yj hard tops are set with urethan not rubber like a CJ plus the cost of the window if it broke removing it isn't cheap.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• Not hard to do yourself. Since the glass is easy to remove and reinstall should be pretty easy to get seamless coverage.

Yj hard tops are set with urethan not rubber like a CJ plus the cost of the window if it broke removing it isn't cheap.

Neill

• Yj hard tops are set with urethan not rubber like a CJ plus the cost of the window if it broke removing it isn't cheap.

Tube of urethane is about 30 bucks. Side windows are about 50 each new. I gave a tinted passenger side window I'd sell for 25. Probably cheaper to just have it tinted.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Learned something. Thanks. Still easy to do yourself like Chris said.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• I had Formula One do my Acura at 15% and then remove it and do it at 5%. Its stupid dark but my wife loves it and they were reasonably priced, good to work with, and the quality was great. Also had them put a clear blue on the whole windshield that helps block out heat and protect the inside from UV.

I have used them in the past too, they do great work. now that they moved from 273 to 40, ill prob use audioworks in the future tho

• Well, upon recommendation from a buddy of mine, I stopped at 2 places yesterday to get some quick quotes.

Formula One aka GotShadeOnline Inc. - $175/hardtop or $265 w/doors
    Ayers Custom Shop - $150/hardtop or $175 w/doors
    AmazonSmile - average price for a roll of 5% tint is around $20, plus free shipping, a little elbow grease and some trial and error
    Autozone - Rustoleum lens tint @ $12.99/can

I'm going to try the Rustoleum on the back hatch and see how it works. It peels off like Plastidip so if I don't like it, no harm done. I'll post up pics and info on how it turns out. If that doesn't work, I'll try my hand at tinting.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Here's a couple of pics if my buddy's Z... the 5% tint was done at Ayers over 5 years ago and still looks great. The nice thing is Ayers is right across the street from where we work so it's pretty convenient.

• Personally, I would not use the lense tint on a window. After you waste 40 bucks and a day goofing around with $hitty (Censored word, this must be one of those safe spaces you can go and no one can hurt your feelings with words) tint you are going to wish you went to a professional. When you do, they are going to charge you to removed the junk you put on too. Personally, I'm a cheap bastard and do everything myself. I paid Formula One to put the tint on my wife's car.

• Personally, I would not use the lense tint on a window. After you waste 40 bucks and a day goofing around with $hitty (Censored word, this must be one of those safe spaces you can go and no one can hurt your feelings with words) tint you are going to wish you went to a professional. When you do, they are going to charge you to removed the junk you put on too. Personally, I'm a cheap bastard and do everything myself. I paid Formula One to put the tint on my wife's car.

On a nice car. I agree.. but a flat Jeep Hard top window.. should be pretty easy.

• I know it's not my money but for the $175.00 Ayers Custom Shop wants to tint the hard top windows and door windows I think that's the route I'd go.

Neill

• What nobody has touched on is also the quality of the tint itself....cheap tint fades (see Geoff's purple tint example above), has poor optical properties (haze, halo effect at night, etc), scratches easily, is thin and a PITA to remove (I peeled 'good' tint from the front of our GC before inspection and it was a 5min process), don't have the same heat reflecting properties (look up ceramic vs carbon) and the metallic tints can even affect cellphone reception. I can be as big of a cheap DIYer as the next guy but tint is something you have to look at every day and it's worth it to me to have a perfect job with quality materials.

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!