***DeJA Trail Ride*** at Anthracite Re-Scheduled to June 17

• 1. Slowpoke
    2. daddanelena
    3. imarammr
    4. WILLYN
    5. altierior - definite maybe

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Looking forward to Saturday's ride at Anthracite. We have four or five Jeeps so far, the more the better. Sign up now!

1. Slowpoke
    2. daddanelena
    3. imarammr
    4. WILLYN
    5. altierior - definite maybe

We'll meet at 9:00 sharp when the gates open.

• I went on the AOAA site and completed the waiver. It doesn't want to sell me a trail pass, am I missing something?
    I plan to be there early so as not to hold anyone up, probably by 8:30. The fuel injection is running like a top, good gas mileage and lots of solid power. This should be fun!

• I'm sorry but it doesn't look like I'm going to make this. I was checking the jeep out when I discovered that my rear brake rotors are about to explode! With my recent luck I don't think I should chance it. Apparently, my rotors are special and I can't just go buy some. They are two weeks until production.
    I will try again at a later date, I hope everyone has a good trip!

• What application are the rotors from with a 2 week wait time for production?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

They are from a kit by The Street Rod Manufacturing Company, inc. The kit was used to put Cadillac Brakes on the international Dana 44. Luckily there was info about them in the packet the guy gave me when I bought the axles. With this setup the rotors are big enough I.d. To fit over the scout II axle flanges, and the O.d. Is small enough that the whole deal will fit inside of a 15" wheel.
    The rotors are 11-9/16 x 1-1/8, 5 x 5-1/2 lug pattern, and I'm not sure of the offset.
    Mine were worn down to 15/16 thick. They were probably close to that when I got them, someone must have turned them in their previous life.
    A web search showed that many people would like to know what application they are from, but it seems that the company buys the rotors undrilled and then drills them in house, thereby creating a proprietary rotor for which they charge 180.00 a pair and you have to wait for them to be drilled.
    I will be holding onto the old ones to start comparing them to others in the future. These slide onto the flange and the wheel lugs hold them on. Some people suggested that front cj7 rotors which are held on with the pressed studs might fit, but I don't have any loose ones to check.
    I hope my excuse is valid now. This is why I could never build a vehicle in a week like they do on tv.

• If you're afraid of struggle, then you're afraid of growth. You have to go through it to get to it. Let it build you, not break you.

• I'm sorry but it doesn't look like I'm going to make this.

Ah, you suck. I was really looking forward to wheeling with you again.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I hope my excuse is valid now.

I guess brake problems are a valid excuse.

I was close to having brakes as my excuse as well. You may have read about the attempted trail repair on my brake line during out last time out. I didn't want to take any further chance with them, so I brought them to the repair shop I use. They had so much trouble opening the seized bleeder valves that one even snapped clean off. I just had them put in new ones (with a generous slathering of Never-Seize, of course) and new lines.

~ JD

• 1. Slowpoke
    2. daddanelena
    3. iImarammr I'm out
    4. WILLYN - out because of his fancy-schmancy Cadillac brakes
    5. altierior - in
    7 ...

We'll meet at 9:00 sharp when the gates open.

~ JD

• John- glad you're gonna make it. Did you see the photos I posted for you?

Got them, thanks.

~ JD

• Those brakes look fine to me!
    John- glad you're gonna make it. Did you see the photos I posted for you?
    Wayne- is Fred gonna make it?

Thanks for the input Jay, maybe I should just go! Brakes, it recently occurred to me, are something that you really can't totally appreciate until they're gone.

• TRAIL REPORT: Best day ever at Anthracite! We had four Jeeps: John (Atierior) with his Cherokee, Wayne (daddanelena) with his TJ, Wayne's cuz, with his JKU with the new G2 axles and ARB lockers, and me. John's co-driver was his daughter Allie, who was born in the back seat of a Cherokee and showed it on some tough black trails that would have scared John if he was driving -- he hates the off-camber stuff.

Everybody got to the AOAA parking lot on time and we got off to an early start.We headed out the access road into the Eastern Preserve, took a right at 706 and cut over to Randy's Hill, but nobody wanted to risk breakage that early in the day, so we took Boyscout over to Barney Rubble and hit it about half way up. Everyone made it to the top without serious mishap. We then made our way up to the Pit Trail, which is a long blue trail in the southeast corner of the property (more like black by Rausch Creek standards). The Pit itself is rated black. It has a tricky rocky descent, some very off-camber sections and a steep, slick climb out. It's not wet though, not a mudhole.

We took a quick lunch break at the top, finished the Pit Trail and then I decided to take a sharp right into a deep hole and bury my front bumper in the dirt. You may have seen the video of Wayne winching me straight up and over a small tree. Unfortunate but unavoidable -- one of our cardinal rules is not to damage the plant life. We managed to prop the tree back up, but its prognosis didn't look too good.

We then picked up the Bee Line Ridge Trail, which is rated black, took a left at the end at 742, then took a right where the map shows a short black trail with a red loop. This started to look like a too-hard descent that would probably have flopped me on one side or the other, so we backed out and decided to start making our way back to the parking lot. After a few more bumpy trails and winching a stuck ATV (I didn't think those guys could get stuck) we found the access road and headed back. We got back to the parking lot with no serious damage. I busted my 50th shock mount and this time wrapped the shock around the rear axle.We were back on the road by 4:00.

Everyone agreed the trails were great, longer and steeper than many at Rausch Creek, the maps and trail markings are much better than in the past, and the facilities and staff are excellent. They have camping now too. Our next ride is RC on 7/22, then back to AOAA on 8/19. Hope to see you there!

• Here is the video. Again, sorry about the tree. I couldn't even see it from where I was sitting! Pulling around it would have meant turning the Jeep sideways and likely flopping it over.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!