• Figured that I would throw it out there, and ask some suggestions/ feedback on shocks. Have a 3.5 RE lift with RE monotube shocks now..need to upgrade and wanted some advice before I got something.. Any suggestions would be great, thanks in advance.

• The REs are pretty good shocks, whats the need to replace ? What Jeep? What benefit are you trying to gain?

But if you are going sink the cash into better shocks, Bilstein are considered some of the best. May consider longer shocks with extended shock hoops depending on your application.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I have been happy with the RE. They are about 9 years old and the ride is getting a little sloppy with them. It's an 04 tj.. just want something with good quality without spending a fortune because I haven't really wheeled for a long time (4 young kids means no money for my toys)

• I have been happy with the RE. They are about 9 years old and the ride is getting a little sloppy with them. It's an 04 tj.. just want something with good quality without spending a fortune because I haven't really wheeled for a long time (4 young kids means no money for my toys)

Your shocks are probably fine. Trouble is probably more in your control arm , track bar and sway bar bushings, Also check ball joints and tie rod/drag link ends for wear and play. Also the shock bushings can easily be replaced.

Energy Suspension 2-18107G Master Bushing Kit in Black for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited $386.20 - 10% Deja discount.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16158_4921_07.htm

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• Your shocks are probably fine.

I'd agree that there's likely slop in control arm bushings, trackbar, etc as well but I wouldn't make the automatic assumption that 9yo shocks on a DD are 'fine'...

I'd check everything else but if you were happy with the RE shocks then pick up a new set of Bilstein 5100's.

--Ian

• I'd agree that there's likely slop in control arm bushings, trackbar, etc as well but I wouldn't make the automatic assumption that 9yo shocks on a DD are 'fine'...

I'd check everything else but if you were happy with the RE shocks then pick up a new set of Bilstein 5100's.

--Ian

Yea what Clendaniel said, I run the 5100s on my 03 and for the money they cant be beat. I ran Moab with a couple of buggies from the club and we hit some great high speed trails, I thought for sure i was going to overheat them from so much cycling but they did great, I think I may have passed a buggy or two too....lol

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!