Coil Spring Compression Tool Needed

• I've just ordered a 3/4" Rubicon Express coil spacer for my 98 TJ to help remedy the passenger side lean. I want to install it on my rear PS coil. I'm seeing on videos and forums that people use ratchet straps to compress coil springs, but I also see that there's a proper tool for that job. Does anyone (Dover area is best) have a coil compression tool I can borrow for a day? (I don't need it right now....the spacer won't arrive for a few days.) Thanks.

If anyone has a tip or trick for this job to make it go easier, please chime in.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Chris, thanks a bunch. Not sure how quickly you'll see this post, but I'll stop by this afternoon if that's convenient for you. I'll give you a text to let you know I"m coming....maybe by 3:00 or so? ...I think I still have your cell number. JIm

• You shouldn't need a compressor for the rear springs on a TJ. Just unbolt the lower shock mount and let it droop.

I can't speak to TJs, but I can say that I have installed coil springs of varying height lifts on the front of XJs, and was instructed to use compressors. I never used compressors.

I say don't bother with the compressor. Do it exactly as Luke describes.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Folks, a quick followup....

With the help of quadna's compression tool, I was able to slip the 3/4" spacer into place. Done! Now, to be clear, I had a 3/4" lean and then I installed a 3/4" spacer. And after all that......I still have 1/4" lean to PS. The math doesn't work!! Who knew that to solve a 3/4" lean I'd need a 1" spacer. Argh! But, I'm fairy happy. If you won't tell, neither will I. And now I can check using a coil spring compression tool off my bucket list.

BTW, I used a ratchet/socket on one compressor, but I had to use a combo wrench on the other. So, it did take a while to get it done. I have no idea how you guys use an impact gun on these things.

• Folks, a quick followup....

With the help of quadna's compression tool, I was able to slip the 3/4" spacer into place. Done! Now, to be clear, I had a 3/4" lean and then I installed a 3/4" spacer. And after all that......I still have 1/4" lean to PS. The math doesn't work!! Who knew that to solve a 3/4" lean I'd need a 1" spacer. Argh! But, I'm fairy happy. If you won't tell, neither will I. And now I can check using a coil spring compression tool off my bucket list.

BTW, I used a ratchet/socket on one compressor, but I had to use a combo wrench on the other. So, it did take a while to get it done. I have no idea how you guys use an impact gun on these things.

You have to position them and close to 180 degrees apart as possible and alternate back and forth with the impact. You usually have to use an extention too.

• I usually use an impact gun to a 3" extension to a universal to a 3/4" socket and then zip down a trigger squeeze at a time alternating between sides like Luke said. Without the universal in there, the gun ends up to close to the spring or you end up hitting the fenders or frame with the back of the gun. I've yet to take my hands clean off, but I generally take my time when working around them just to be safe.

• I agree with luke, jack stands on the frame and let axle droop. you will need to disconnect the lower shock mounts, track bar at frame, and sway bar links possibly. the spacers dont always give you that much lift unfortunately because the springs are at a curved angle if they were straight up and down it would be a diff result. OME sells 10mm spacers for this tuning reason left to right

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!