Jeep inspections in MD

• I prefer something stock to near stock because I will have to get it through Maryland state inspection (no suspension modifications allowed).

I didn't know Maryland will give you hard time for Jeep modifications. Do you have any specifics or it depends the individual State Inspection ??? :)

Jeep TJ 2000 Current upgrade: Digital tire gauge. Next upgrade: On board toilet paper holder :P

• It's more the "first" inspection thing. Maryland has a 1 time inspection before registering. If you don't have to change registration, it's good for life (still need reoccurring emissions depending year). Mild modifications won't hurt you, but major (suspension) is cause for failure. Once it's inspected it's a different story but I've heard of people getting "fix it" tickets for lack of maintenance and excessive modifications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• It's more the "first" inspection thing. Maryland has a 1 time inspection before registering. If you don't have to change registration, it's good for life (still need reoccurring emissions depending year). Mild modifications won't hurt you, but major (suspension) is cause for failure. Once it's inspected it's a different story but I've heard of people getting "fix it" tickets for lack of maintenance and excessive modifications

Yup, everything he just said. Once you get it through the first time, you are generally good to go. Jeeps tend to be pretty immune from "fix it" tickets for some reason. Now, slam your civic and you won't make it two weeks

• If you need inspection and are still in the elkton area, go to fosters in northeast. They took care of my mildly modified YJ when I bought it and still lived in MD. They dug deep, made sure it was safe, and other than having to put on "mud flaps" because of my lift/33's I was good to go (this was the YJ I did the CJ dash conversion in). My old neighbor works there (Glenn) they are good people.

• Hmmm. I am not sure if I need to re-inspect my TJ to put her back on the road. I bought it new in 2000 and had MD plate. I have long arms and other stuff. Then put the Jeep in the warehouse for about 10 years. I turned in my plate long ago. But I still have the MD title.

I wonder if I can get a MD plate?

Jeep TJ 2000 Current upgrade: Digital tire gauge. Next upgrade: On board toilet paper holder :P

• You will most likely need inspection if the registration was not kept current. You can inspect lifted vehicles, but it is limited. If you have a properly designed lift kit, you should be ok as long as you meet the mud flap/flare requirements. You can't have a suspension and body lift combined (one or the other is ok) but usually if you have a 1 inch body lift, no one can tell. It's the 3inchers with coil spacers that will get you a fail. Best thing to call is call or stop by somewhere and ask. It's been a while but I had a 3.5 inch lift on 33's on my YJ and it passed after I added a set of "universal" mud flaps, and took them back off when I got home.

• That is a bummer. I have taken our family cars to Forester for years. They do things by the book, I don't know if they will cut me some slack on the TJ. But I can ask Glenn before I take it there. Thanks.

• They were to the book, but if it was "within" the book, they were ok with it. I'd trust their opinion. They were very honest people

• I will report back my finding in the coming weeks.

:sshh: I have been driving the TJ around the block without a plate, and need to make a trip to DE for a new muffler and pipe.......... Knowing my luck, I always get stopped, when I forget to bring my wallet. Not very often, may be once in 10 years. :bang:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!