Anybody here have first hand experience with a stroker 4.0

• Going to be replacing the engine in my TJ over the winter. Was leaning towards a 5.3 but decided I want something that drops right in. shopping remans I can get a 4.0 for around $1600 or could do a Titan stroker for around $2700. I have been reading up on the stroker engines a lot and like the torque that they put out but there seem to be a lot of horror stories of engines not making it to 20,000 miles without blowing up. Has anyone here had any experience, good or bad with a stroker set up ?

• I collected the parts to build one and reading the horror stories I sold the parts and dropped in a 100k mile motor from a 98 that I paid 300 buck for. I can't argue with that..... I have a 5.3 on the floor to put together for my next build. What's wrong with your 4.0?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• Rear main is puking oil everywhere, Aaron replaced the seal once, i had two different garages reseal and i did it once . No change in the leak. It isnt just a couple of drops it leaves pretty good puddles whereever i park. The shaft must be scored pretty good that it just cuts the new seals

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• i just think that the 4.0 was never meant to be a high performance motor and no matter what u do to it it never will be.

• Don't think your gains will be worth the extra $1100 with the mentioned risks. A good 4.0 long block and you have a new Jeep.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I looked into building a stroker but read a few to many horror stories as well. I know at one point Titan had a lot of issues and so did Golden not sure if they fixed the issue but Hesco seem to build a good stroker just big $$$. I agree with Aaron the 4.0L was never meant to be high horsepower engine. Mopar performance at one point offered a crate stroker maybe look into that. http://www.moparproshop.com/jeep_stroker_engines or this one http://www.moparproshop.com/inc/sdetail/10721/10729 I still think you can't beat a GM LS swap but that's my opinion.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

Edited 2 times, last by 92Renegade ().

• HESCO has a lot of information on strokers and 4 L's in general. They're pretty much the gurus.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I wonder if using an AMC 258 block would be better for a stroker? The crank is better supported with 7 main bearings. The 4L head will bolt to it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!