• Not sure if I am in the right thread, but have a question. Looking into purchasing new tires and rims. I have a 2004 TJ Rubicon with a 3.5inch BL and 1inch SL.
    I am looking at Goodyear Duaratecs, BFG, and Mickey Thompson All Terrain tires. It is a daily driver and 90% pavement driving and some beach in summer.
    My question is should I go with 33X12.50r15, 35X12.50r15, or 33X10.50r15. I have stock fenders.
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I really do not want to put different gears in and trying to get something that will not rub.

• I think the 33" tires will be fine, but the width is more a choice you have to make in regards to inspections at the DMV. They recently (past two years) have started cracking down on tires that protrude out past the fender flares. Now if you have the 10.5" wide tires there is a chance you might be able to keep them tucked in enough to pass - the 12.5" wide tires won't fit no matter what you do if you still have the oem flares that came on the rubicon. But if you keep some oem-ish wheels/tires around for inspection then you are good to go and I'd get the 12.5" wide tires. Oh, and I didn't recommend the 35" tires at all as you'd be very unhappy in the long term with the loss of performance (power, fuel economy, braking) that would join those large tires if you still have the stock axle gearing.

• Another for 33’s. 35’s on a Tj make it unpleasant as a daily driver. 33’s will let you go anywhere you should want to (and drive it home) but still look great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I'd go with the 33x10.5 tire, on an 8" wide wheel with a 4.5" backspace. That should keep you legal. The backspace number relates to how far the inner edge of the wheel goes back toward the frame from the lugs. Most aftermarket Jeep wheels are in the 3.5-4.5" range. Less backspace means it'll stick out more.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Thank you all for the input. So, sounds like I need to stick with 33's, which is fine by me. Just still unsure about the 33X10.5 or 33X12.5
    I am definitely going with 15X8 inch wheel, still undecided about backspacing. I will be keeping the original tires and wheels, which are the stock that came with the jeep. I do like the look of the wider tire, but also want to make sure still have a good ride.

Also, of these tires, which would be the better choice? Goodyear Duaratecs, BFG, or Mickey Thompson All Terrain tires.I do like the look of the Mickey Thompson, but the better tire is more important than looks.

Thank you

• I replied to your PM about the tire options... if using the stock wheels, you'll likely need wheel spacers to prevent them from rubbing in tight turns (maybe ok with 10.5" tires, but absolutely need them with 12.5" tires!). Run through inspection without them, though. :) You'd need two pairs of something like this: https://www.quadratec.com/products/92807_00XX_PG.htm

Oh, since you mention factory wheels, TJ Rubicons came with 16x8 wheels with (I think) 4.75" backspace. The OEM tires were 245/75/16 Goodyear MTRs, which are roughly 30.5x9.5". Of course, those may have been swapped out over the past 13 years. :) I've attached a photo showing the original wheel design.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I say go big or go home ! get the 35s.. and let the can of worms land were they may. Plan for a few extra $s here and there and your set.

Seriously I have no experience.. just being the devil on your shoulder.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I have a TJ with a 2.5" susp lift with 35x12.5 r15 ats with flat fenders I run daily and no problems, no rubs and rides very nice. I "do not" trail with them. I have a set of 33's for that. I think it's personal preference and what type of tire u get. Good luck

If you're afraid of struggle, then you're afraid of growth. You have to go through it to get to it. Let it build you, not break you.

• I have a tj with a 2" spacer lift, 1.25" BL and run 33x12.5. I did replace the wheels with 15x10 steelies and DMV required me to put on new fender flares. On road and offroad I've been very happy with this combo, and very satisfied with the Duratracs.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!