Rebuilding exhaust.

• Time for new exhaust for the scrambler. Dynomax is replacing my muffler under warranty. (Rust hole) the rest is pretty much shot. I want to build one that will hold up better.

My 1st draft plan.. New down pipe from exhaust manifold. New universal cat and new custom bent tail pipe exiting behind the rear drivers side tire. Also planning to use flex joints to take the stress out and to allow for some flexibility.

Questions:
    1. Universal cat Recommendations.
    2. How many flex joints and where should they go? Thinking short one after the down pipe, one long one between CAT and muffler and one after the muffler.
    3. Is there an upgraded pipe that will last longer?
    4. Are bolt together Flanges better then welding ? Thinking if I get every thing with flanges, the exhaust would be easier to maintain and take apart.

Discuss...

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I think you only need one flex pipe between the manifold and the cat. That gets rid of the engine vibration.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• The only pipe that ever rusts out on mine is the tailpipe. Spray it with a decent high temp paint, inside and out. It will still rust but it should slow it down.

Everything else was bought off the shelf from Pep Boys and has been fine for years. It's a straight show back on a CJ so it's pretty easy to do.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!